Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By hullexile
  • 6 Post By Fiona in HKG

Visitor (tourist) visa extension?

Question Visitor (tourist) visa extension?

Now that a Macau run is impractical thanks to quarantine, are there any realistic avenues to extending a visit visa beyond the 90 days?

It would seem sensible that the immigration dept put something in place to avoid unnecessary risks from travel out and then (one day...) back in, but I'm not too hopeful and can't see anything on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky
    Now that a Macau run is impractical thanks to quarantine, are there any realistic avenues to extending a visit visa beyond the 90 days?

It would seem sensible that the immigration dept put something in place to avoid unnecessary risks from travel out and then (one day...) back in, but I'm not too hopeful and can't see anything on the website.
    The visa run was always a way of getting round the rules so I don't expect them to put anything in place.
    jlw90 and Fiona in HKG like this.

While they are not processing work visas at present, they are still processing extensions to existing visas so may grant a short extension. Their first question would be, why do you need another tourist visa immediately after the expiration of your current visa?

See notes under the visa and extension of stay section of this page:

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/popup_notice.html

With unemployment rising, expect them to get more hardline about granting visas for employment, but also for tourists who do multiple visa runs. Their suspicion would be illegal employment or having set up residency under the guise of being a tourist.

Are there any news? I am in the same situation.

I figure I'll tag on to this thread with my situation. I'll be requesting a visitor extension soon (USA passport). I have a work visa application that has been in the system for 3 months now but recently was suspended. I'm hopeful they will grant a long enough extension that I can start a new work visa application with a new sponsor and then continue to apply for visitor extensions while the work visa application process plays out. Does anyone have experience with this sort of situation? I've moved here and living with my SO on the assumption that the work visa would eventually get approved, but now I'm anxious I could get told to leave either between or during a work visa application.

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/popup_notice.html

Immigration have arrangements in place as above. They have extended their limited services along with the Government's work from home arrangements for another two weeks, unless something changes for them.