Passport renewal and work visa

Closed Thread

Passport renewal and work visa

My current passport expires in 10 months, while my current work visa expires in 5 months.

I want to get my passport renewed now, so that when my work visa is renewed, it can go in the renewed passport.

But do I need to get the current work visa transferred into my renewed passport? I've seen on other topics in this forum that people carry 2 passports (for getting a new passport after running out of pages) - but I'm not sure if, as I'm renewing because of impending expiry, my old passport will get "canceled" (ie rendered invalid) and I'll need to transfer the visa across.

Quote Originally Posted by el_tornado:
    that people carry 2 passports
    ^^This.

Once you apply for a visa renewal, then stick the new visa sticker in your new passport.

No need to transfer visa. Depending on your home country passport system practices, some countries will stamp all passport pages with small stamp saying "void" or something like that. When doing passport renewal, you can point out to them that you would like to keep your expired passport for some time (1-2 years), and ask not to put "void" on the specific page, since the visa is still valid. That's a very common practice.

Just keep your cancelled passport with the work visa and carry the 2 passports. I had a similar situation - my work visa was put on a full passport I renewed 1 month later. Meaning for nearly 2 years I carried the cancelled passport with my work visa.
    I never had to show it to anyone as I used the gates where I just put my HK ID in. However in December I was sick at the gate and could not board my flight. To get back into HK from airside I had to show my HK ID, current passport and cancelled passport showing my visa. So those 2 years of carrying it about paid off.