Like Tree5Likes

Can you be staying at a hotel and apply for HKID card

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can you be staying at a hotel and apply for HKID card

Hi i'm currently waiting for my work visa to be processed so i can then apply for an ID card, I've been looking at apartments recently but in my price range they're not great. i spoke to the concierge at my hotel and he said if i booked at least a month i could stay there for the same price but its a much nicer place.

However I've heard that when applying for a hkid card or bank account you need to provide an address and it cant be a hotel. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

alexdown likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeyo:
    Hi i'm currently waiting for my work visa to be processed so i can then apply for an ID card, I've been looking at apartments recently but in my price range they're not great. i spoke to the concierge at my hotel and he said if i booked at least a month i could stay there for the same price but its a much nicer place.

However I've heard that when applying for a hkid card or bank account you need to provide an address and it cant be a hotel. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks
    I opened my bank account with a hotel address. Explain your bank that your company pays for hotel for the first few months or something like that. They won't mind.

I had the opposite experience to Plutark. HSBC wouldn't even take the rental agreement I had at a serviced apartment because it didn't have the stamp duty stamp on it. I had to get them to go get the 2 month agreement stamped in order to open a bank account. But HSBC is amongst the worst for these things I hear, so maybe another bank might be a bit more relaxed.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Thanks, did either of you have problems with the ID card?

Quote Originally Posted by sceeerutinizer:
    I had the opposite experience to Plutark. HSBC wouldn't even take the rental agreement I had at a serviced apartment because it didn't have the stamp duty stamp on it. I had to get them to go get the 2 month agreement stamped in order to open a bank account. But HSBC is amongst the worst for these things I hear, so maybe another bank might be a bit more relaxed.
    I did it with Citibank, HSBC is the impossible bank

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeyo:
    Thanks, did either of you have problems with the ID card?
    I don't think it's an issue. I believe I just used my work address. Banks are another story.

Me and the wife stayed at the YWCA lodge in Kowloon Tong for a month when we came to Hong Kong in 2017. (Essentially a long stay hotel)

We opened bank account at HSBC and got ID cards whilst there. No issues at all.

chuckster007 likes this.

actually not necessary so.. what you do is maybe apply for some stuffs where they will send a letter to your address.. just bring the letter with your address as the address proof and i think the banks will accept. they are not trained to look at the hotel address to reject.. more like if you just show a tenancy agreement its an exception and they get more worried about it.

You will pick up the card at the immigration office so it shouldn’t matter that much.

Original Post Deleted
    And your passport... Banks sometimes get fussy with brown people passports and some birth countries.

Immd will not have a problem with you using your work address.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast