Like Tree5Likes

Is it impossible to activate a visa right now?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it impossible to activate a visa right now?

I've been in Hong Kong for a while and I was finally able to pick up my working holiday visa from the immigration office today, after it being closed for over a month. I was told that I need to activate it by leaving Hong Kong... is this even possible right now? There seems to be no way to get to Macau (no buses or ferries) and the mainland border is closed. Has anyone ever had immigration activate a visa there at the office? I know it's not standard procedure but are they likely to do this considering the circumstances? I'd like to be able to activate it asap so I can find a job.

What did immigration tell you when you asked them?

I didn't ask them because I didn't know at the time that there was no way to get to Macau. They didn't mention anything about it, just told me that I need to exit Hong Kong and come back. I'm going to go back and ask tomorrow, but was just wondering if anyone had any insight or similar experience.

It used to be possible to 'exit' immigration (e.g. at the Lo Wu border, or at the Macau ferry terminal), and then turn around and re-enter. I'm not sure if it still is - but maybe that would be a solution. I would be very cautious first though - you don't want to have to spend 14 days in quarantine even if you haven't physically left Hong Kong.

I dont quite understand this activating a visa by going out and in. I never did that, (Although I have heard it’s a thing) I assume I didn’t need to because I had the visa before I arrived? Anyway, why on earth would they require you to do that if they are issuing you with one in here in Hong Kong? Seems crazy.

AndersViking likes this.

Yeah, since you had the visa before you arrived, it was activated when you first came into Hong Kong. Since I didn't have my visa yet and entered as a tourist, I now have to leave and enter again as a visa holder. But I don't totally understand why they can't just activate it there at the office. *shrug*

Suppose I'll give this a try tomorrow at the Macau ferry terminal and hope they take pity on me...

Quote Originally Posted by kohakuriver:
    Suppose I'll give this a try tomorrow at the Macau ferry terminal and hope they take pity on me...
    Ferry terminal closed at the moment. https://www.turbojet.com.hk/en/routi...ule-fares.aspx

Go to an open border point, either Hong Kong Zhuhai Macau bridge or Shenzhen Bay and ask the immigration officer upon exiting on how to proceed.

Or just go back to immigration and find someone who knows what they are doing... As much as I'd like to believe the government is dim enough to be issuing visas that can't be activated without triggering quarantine, they must have thought of this and given someone in Immigration Tower a "Journey Completed" stamp. Right?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast