Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 3 Post By 441211
  • 1 Post By 441211

HKPR application question

Lightbulb HKPR application question

Hi everyone,

I'll be eligible to apply for my HKPR very soon.
    Just a few quick questions for those who have gone through the process recently -

My 1st employment visa was issued on 6 June 2013; my 1st date of arrival to HK was 26 June 2013, starting my employment on the 1st week of July.

Is my 7 year anniversary based on the 6th or 26th?
    Assuming my 7 year anniversary (based on date of entry) is 26 June 2020 - when is the earliest I can submit my application (online)?

I've seen on this forum somewhere:

• if you apply for PR more than 28 days before your 7 year anniversary, immigration will just send the papers back
    • 28 days before the 7 year anniversary; but you must be physically present in HK on the day you submit and also on the 7 year anniversary day

So does this mean I can apply on 29 May 2020 online?
    I've called the immigration hotline to check and the guy said - just wait for the 7 year mark then apply (you can tell I'm keen to get my HKPR asap!).

As per the online application, required documents are passport/visa/HKID copies.
    I've seen a lot of people submit tax receipts and lease agreements - are these recommended but not mandatory?

Thanks in advance to those who contribute!

7 years from the day you landed.

Last edited by mrgoodkat; 22-05-2020 at 06:49 PM.
    shri likes this.

Counts from 26 June.

I submitted my application online about 4 weeks before the 7 year mark and it went through fine. I got an appointment for some time after the 7 year mark, which I then promptly rescheduled (online) to a couple of days after the 7 year mark so as to get it as soon as permitted!

Plenty of threads on this topic.

shri, Jaz Paul and honghwang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 441211
    Counts from 26 June.

I submitted my application online about 4 weeks before the 7 year mark and it went through fine. I got an appointment for some time after the 7 year mark, which I then promptly rescheduled (online) to a couple of days after the 7 year mark so as to get it as soon as permitted!

Plenty of threads on this topic.
    fantastic, good to know some people read the entire letter carefully. Being sober also helps , I guess

In one of the many hkpr threads I've read, I remember someone suggested getting the PR ID card done the same day after the interview. Would you care to share if you know what that's about?

Cheers

On the day of the interview you get a temporary paper HKPR ID card, and a date from which you can go and pick up your "real" one. (The temporary one gives you the same status and rights as the final card.)

Jaz Paul likes this.

if I am thinking of resigning from my job (for a career break)
    would you recommend I resign once I have the temporary paper HKPR ID card, or wait until I have the "real" one?

Pretty sure the paper ID is sufficient. In fact as long as your visa takes you beyond 7 years, I don't think you even need the job. (Unless you have a type of visa that gets invalidated as soon as you quit, if there's such a thing.)

But I'm a random person on the internet, not an expert. Why not just play it 100% safe and wait a tiny bit more?

You are going to find lots of different answers here and here is my experience. I had the work visa extended past 7 years so I did not have to go through this issue and the application took ages. I believe it took almost 3 months in total, if not a little longer. So do not base your application on the thought this will all go swimmingly well within a month. If you go over the 7 year mark you will no longer have a visa (if you haven't renewed your employment visa) and it is a huge risk. They will not issue you with a PR if you have no valid visa and whilst when we nearly hit 7 years we did think about doing what you are doing I checked with our HR people (who really know their stuff) and they advised to not do this, too many angles and far too many things that can go wrong. Kudos to those who did it and it went right but I would hazard a guess that right now applications are not going through quickly. Hell, it took 3 months when HK was having 'no issues' so I wouldn't place a bet it would happen in a month.

I recommend you get your employment visa renewed, then immediately apply for the PR and whenever that goes through, 1 month or 3 months or however long then quit the job. I would play it safe, far too many variables.

Yes, in case it wasn't obvious, definitely do not leave yourself visa-less at the 7 year point, make sure you have a visa beyond that. Don't rely on HKPR to get you past it. In my case I had 2 more years left on my visa at that point, so there was no risk.

Took about a month for me in the midst of the protests, but there's no guanrantee.

I know someone who was accused of being overstayer when they applied a day after the seven year point as they didn’t at that point have either PR or a valid visa.
    When you get your last visa before seven years best to ask for one that will take you a year past it.