Like Tree1Likes

VEPIC without passport, any one has this experience?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VEPIC without passport, any one has this experience?

Quick info:

me (Dad): HK PR and born in Hong Kong, no other citizenship or right of abode
    Mon: born in China and no other citizenship or right of abode

My daughter: born in US this February. Has US birth certificate, born due my wife J1 visa and I am back to HK for work already, I am using B1 visa in US when my daughter born, Due to the outbreak in US, my daughter's US passport application is delayed with no timeline.

My wife work end in July and she got a offer in HK and applying IANG. We asked immg department how to get my daughter in HK, they told me to apply Chinese travel document + HK visit visa, and then my daughter can do VEPIC.

Two questions:
    1) Are they really accept Chinese travel document? I go to 25 floor they said it is OK, but someone in hotline say not OK, I am worried and want to know if any real experience on this.
    2) Will there be any problem for doing VEPIC without passport. Again, the person in 25 floor say only birth certificate is required and you just need to explain why you cannot get the passport. Again I am worried if it is true.

I got many misinformation so really want to see if there is real experience. They told us before we can use Chinese travel document to apply dependent visa, but when we submit, they say no..

You daughter can also submit application for the HKSAR passport at the Chinese embassy / consulate in the US if they are open. But it'll probably take 2 months during normal times if you can wait.

The China Travel Document (中國旅行證) is a passport. Effectively it is a temporary PRC passport. So your daughter can use it to travel to China as well.

They are not opening, I ask them what to do and they told us the method China Travel Document + HK visa to enter HK first, and do VEPIC.

Just worried if this is really OK. Each process seems separate and have no guarantees for further steps.

We got the China Travel Document and applying for HK visa.

We really worried the worse scenario that we bring our daughter to HK with HK visa, and then they don't accept or reject our VEPIC, no one can really tell us what to do even in the Immg tower.. they just keep saying based on your information you have high chance, no worries.

Hi tim12345,

1. Based on the facts you describe, your daughter is a Chinese national with Right of Abode in Hong Kong. That means an application for a HKSAR passport, with correct supporting evidence, would succeed (and you can apply at the Chinese embassy).

2. HK immigration might reject an application for a HK visa for your daughter, because based on the facts, she has HK right of abode.

3. There are COVID-19 restrictions in force since March 25: non-residents cannot enter HK from overseas by plane[*]. The airline may refuse to allow your daughter to board the plane unless you can prove to their satisfaction that she is a HK resident (not just a visitor). Maybe this will change before July but who knows?

4. Your daughter is also a US citizen by birth in the US. According to US law, U.S. citizens must enter and leave the United States on valid U.S. passports[**]. I do not know whether either the airline or the government will check this this when leaving the United States. But if her Chinese travel document states her birth place as USA, it will be obvious she is a US citizen.

So I'm a bit concerned about your case. I'm sorry I don't have all the answers. It sounds like in theory you should apply for a US passport *and* a HKSAR passport as soon as possible. But I don't know how COVID-19 delays will affect your plans.[*] See https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/inbound-travel.html .
    [**] See https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...s-citizenship/

Last edited by waiming; 23-05-2020 at 02:19 PM. Reason: correct typo
    Morrison likes this.

Since she already has the China Travel Document, a full proof option is that your wife takes your daughter back to her hometown in China. Your daughter can even register for mainland hukou. If you have grandparents to look after her, then you can take your time to apply for the US passport and all the other necessary documents for her to come to hk.

Last edited by kma88; 23-05-2020 at 02:48 PM.

But if she registers for a mainland hukou, that affects her exercise of Hong Kong right of abode, right? She becomes a resident of the mainland and needs a one-way permit before she can exercise HK ROA. (This is not my area of expertise, so correct me if I'm wrong)

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services...rangement.html

True, and we don't want to separate with my daughter. Especially my wife also get a job in HK and will use IANG to go to HK for work.

I am just not sure should I trust the IMMG anymore... overall they help us to get the China Travel Document ( it needs to be required by HK IMMG department so the the China embassy will help us, they said specifically only will issue it if required by HK IMMG, since China embassy in US is closed due to outbreak).

At first they say it is enough to go to HK and just do VEPIC. The case officer helping us to do the request say he knows other similar case just use China Travel Document to enter HK.

Then others found us we also need HK visa and we are applying.. the case officer said should be OK but still waiting..

I am afraid they will reject the VEPIC because of using China Travel Document or No US passport, although they said just explained in the application....

Also thinking if I could request IMMG to help us request China embassy in US to accept our oversea HK passport application, but the case officer said it will take 3 months or even more due to the outbreak and mailing delay.

Last edited by tim12345; 23-05-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Normally PRC passport / China Travel Document is enough to enter HK without visa/entry permit. But I think this is only for 7 days so doesn't even cover the quarantine period. Which is probably why you were advised to apply for a entry permit, to cover a longer visit period.

I don't think in your daughter's case a mainland hukou would jeopardize the HK PR. She can leave mainland on the China Travel Document, then use the US passport to enter HK and process VEPIC. Don't think the ImmD will check if she already has hukou, thou I am not totally sure.

afaik there is no link between VEPIC and a specific passport/ travel document.
    The only req. is that applicant is in HK on the day he submits vepic, thus an entry stamp is proof enough, can leave the same day.

Others have mentioned in the past that HK Chinese nationals can also supply for a HK passport at the Chinese embassy.

What about you applying a dependent visa for your daughter?

You can submit this application in HK, so don't need to go thru the loops in the US. The parent-child dependent visa is quite straight forward and can probably be processed within a month. And with China Travel Document + dependent visa/permit your daughter will be entering HK as a resident rather than a visitor, so no risk of being rejected at airline check in or at HK airport. Also there would be no time limit of stay (easy to renew after a year) so you can take your time in doing the VEPIC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast