Like Tree2Likes

Extension of stay / Renewal of General Employment Policy Visa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by TaD_LaLa:
    Don't forget that there is also the seldom publicised, 'Top Tier' stream within the GEP for work visa renewals.

If you qualify for the 'Top Tier' Stream', after 2 years of years working in HK, you can go from pattern of work visa stay from “1+2+2+3” years to “2+6” years, with no other conditions of stay upon extension.

The main criteria for the Top Tier Stream is that you make more than 2M HKD per year, for 2 consecutive years. If so, upon your first work visa renewal, you can qualify for the 'Top Tier' which gives you a 6 year 'work' extension that is not tied to a specific employer.

Well worth considering, if it is an option.

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/faq/enha...n-schemes.html
    haha, I heard that. Long way to go...

I never submitted my contract for any visa renewal...and its not requested, only asked for the supporting letter. So on all supporting letters, my employer write only that i was currently employed by X company since "date of begining" in the position of "Y" with a salary of "Z"...thats all and never had an issue

Quote Originally Posted by etienne43:
    I never submitted my contract for any visa renewal...and its not requested, only asked for the supporting letter. So on all supporting letters, my employer write only that i was currently employed by X company since "date of begining" in the position of "Y" with a salary of "Z"...thats all and never had an issue
    Thanks. However, did you submit your contract during your initial work permit application?

Yes my company did it when they sponsor me. It was for a duration of 4 years....but i never give again the new contract to the immigration when asking for visa renewal

Hello, I applied for my employment extension online 3 weeks ago. My visa is expiring this weekend and so it will expire before my extension application is finalised. The case officer said I can stay in Hong Kong and continue working until it is finalised. They said there is no problem as long as I don't leave in the meantime.... Is this true? I would rather have some concrete information than just rely on what they say over the phone. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by luke1; 18-07-2020 at 10:29 AM.

thats right as far as I know, one can stay and wait for the decision.

By the way may I please ask if it is possible to submit application for work visa extension earlier than 4 weeks? and I actually thought usually extension application get completed the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Visp:
    thats right as far as I know, one can stay and wait for the decision.

By the way may I please ask if it is possible to submit application for work visa extension earlier than 4 weeks? and I actually thought usually extension application get completed the same day.
    It's possible, but you need a supporting letter from your employer explaining why. A lot of teachers do it as they will be visiting home during visa expiry. They "walk in" on the day they want to do it. If you get down for opening time, maybe 10 mins early. There will be a massive queue, but you'll get a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by luke1:
    Hello, I applied for my employment extension online 3 weeks ago. My visa is expiring this weekend and so it will expire before my extension application is finalised. The case officer said I can stay in Hong Kong and continue working until it is finalised. They said there is no problem as long as I don't leave in the meantime.... Is this true? I would rather have some concrete information than just rely on what they say over the phone. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Had friends in a similar boat. Yeah HK is good like that. Once the docs are submitted they " stop the clock" until it's all sorted out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2