Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 1 Post By Pauljoecoe
  • 1 Post By Fei88
  • 1 Post By MABinPengChau

How many months validity does my passport need to have to apply for an employment visa in HK?

Closed Thread

How many months validity does my passport need to have to apply for an employment visa in HK?

Hi, I have just been offered a job in HK, but only have 11 months left on my passport until it expires, the employer wants to apply for the visa now but due to covid 19 I can't renew my passport until sept. Have been searching for how many months validity my passport needs to have to apply for an employment visa in HK, but cannot find the answer, does anyone have any idea?

Your visa will be issued until the day your passport expires.

yangnaifen and MABinPengChau like this.

Often countries insist on 6 months when applying for tourist visas, not sure if it is the same.

It is worth trying to renew the passport as if you do get one on your present passport you will have to apply for renewal/extension within 11 months...a pain.

yangnaifen likes this.

Currently the General Employment Policy visa follows 2-3-3 year pattern. However, if your passport expires before the date (two years), then the visa will be probabaly ends on the date that your passport expires.

They issue the visa sticker with expiry a month before your passport s validity.

In current situation it takes much longer to secure an employment visa ( 3 months?) ; you'll end up With a visa which will expire in 6-8 month time.

Seems you have no other option, so Just apply. Renewals are not difficult

MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fei88:
    They issue the visa sticker with expiry a month before your passport s validity.

In current situation it takes much longer to secure an employment visa ( 3 months?) ; you'll end up With a visa which will expire in 6-8 month time.

Seems you have no other option, so Just apply. Renewals are not difficult
    You saved my life, I thought my visa would expire on the last day of my old passport but you are right, a month earlier, applied for an extension just in time. Just picked it up today and they gave me the full three years, even though I had an additional 7 months from the first renewal due to the imminent expiration of my old passport.
    shri likes this.