Like Tree13Likes

Shenzhen to HK commute

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's very helpful.

For those that often take the high speed rail, how long is the journey starting from the time you enter Futian station and then exit West Kowloon station? Just trying to get total sense of time from Futian station to Central.

On visa/residence permits...
    I only have a multiple entry tourist visa. Not sure if it's crazy to try to live there on this. @resurection - do you know of anyone who's obtained a residence permit by applying and citing having a Chinese citizen girlfriend living in Shenzhen?
    If that's not an option, how about a business visa?

Quote Originally Posted by astro1:
    I only have a multiple entry tourist visa. Not sure if it's crazy to try to live there on this. @resurection - do you know of anyone who's obtained a residence permit by applying and citing having a Chinese citizen girlfriend living in Shenzhen?
    I bet he hasn't, coz they don't exist. A business visa won't help you either, only holders of actual residence permits are allowed to use the e-gates. Any kind of visa has to queue up, fill in the paper and get a stamp.

Another option would be for you to live near the Highspeed station in Kowloon and your girlfriend buying a business two-way permit from a middleman. They cost around 30,000 RMB and would allow her to travel to HK for business purposes every day for one year and use the e-gates. Although technically she could get refused entry if someone notices her only staying over night, though that shouldn't be an issue with the e-gates.

You could always get married and sponsor her for a dependent visa in HK

That kind of commute on a daily basis borders on insanity and after one week you will regret your decision.

Eva C likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Luckily I already decided to not use your shitty little visa agency. Here is the official statement from the Chinese Embassy in Singapore:

As a matter of fact, everybody can extend their visa at the local PSB.

Details of Visa-free Access for Singapore Citizens Holding Ordinary Passports Traveling to China for a Short Stay

Bravoooo article from 2004. Yes if you have a visa, but getting in visa free you don't have a visa.

https://www.visaforchina.org/CBR_EN/...q/275556.shtml

"4) Citizens of Singapore, Brunei and JapanA citizen of Singapore, Brunei or Japan with an ordinary passport is exempted from a visa if he or she visits China's mainland for tourism, business, or meeting with friends or relatives, and if he or she enters China through ports open to foreigners, and stays for no more than 15 days.
    However, a visa is required for citizen of these three countries under any of the following circumstances:
    A. An ordinary passport holder visits China for tourism, business, or meeting with friends or relatives, and stays for more than 15 days.
    B. An ordinary passport holder visits China for the purpose of study, work, permanent residency, official visits or news coverage.
    C. A Japanese citizen travels with a diplomatic or official passport."

Quote Originally Posted by astro1:
    Thanks everyone for your responses. It's very helpful.

For those that often take the high speed rail, how long is the journey starting from the time you enter Futian station and then exit West Kowloon station? Just trying to get total sense of time from Futian station to Central.

SO many in Shenzhen & Dongguan with "other private matters" (GF was example only)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    what mrgoodkat was saying is that the OP isnt a PR so CANT get APEC card in HK.
    Sorry i mistyped. You don't need to be a PR to get an APEC card if your home nationality also supports it. Which now includes USA as well as Aus and of course various Asian nationalities. But you have to apply through your home scheme, not the HK one. The Aus application, for example, is MUCH more convoluted than applying in HK.

You can live in China on a tourist visa. You have a multiple entry visa. No reason for them to stop you from entering or leaving as many times as you want as long as the visa is valid. I think you do legally have to register with the local PSB if your stay is more than 24 hours. Since you are coming and going every day, I don't think it is an issue. I come and go so many times that the local PSB told me that it is good enough to just register once every few months. They are not really strict on this.

For a business visa, you need an invite from a China mainland company. I don't think they give multiple entries for this and the validity may be much shorter. You are better of with the tourist visa.

You know, once the current restrictions are lifted, you can try it out for a month and see if you can deal with the commute. If you can't last for a month then you have your answer. I also have no idea when you got your visa but if it was before March of this year, remember that your visa is currently suspended so you can't use it until the suspension has also been lifted. If you got it after March then let me know. I didn't think they were issuing new tourist visas.

Quote Originally Posted by mwong222:
    You can live in China on a tourist visa. You have a multiple entry visa. No reason for them to stop you from entering or leaving as many times as you want as long as the visa is valid. I think you do legally have to register with the local PSB if your stay is more than 24 hours. Since you are coming and going every day, I don't think it is an issue. I come and go so many times that the local PSB told me that it is good enough to just register once every few months. They are not really strict on this.
    You are legally required to register your residency within 24h of arrival, not after. If you are not on a residence permit you must register after every entry. You are right that the PSB will most likely tell you that it's enough to register every few months, but that is not legal. They only do that do avoid having to do your registration every day. If you get checked by police they won't care what the PSB has told you and fine you ¥2000. The likelihood of getting checked depends on how often you hang around bars frequented by foreigners, e.g Shekou or CoCo Park.

I did not say to register after 24 hours. I said if he is not staying for longer than 24 hours then it is just not something he should really worry about. During the week, he arrives after work at night and leaves in the morning. Even the cops in China can understand that he could not register due to the opening hours of the PSB. Also if he gets checked within the 24 hours, he still hasn't done anything illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by mwong222:
    I did not say to register after 24 hours. I said if he is not staying for longer than 24 hours then it is just not something he should really worry about. During the week, he arrives after work at night and leaves in the morning. Even the cops in China can understand that he could not register due to the opening hours of the PSB. Also if he gets checked within the 24 hours, he still hasn't done anything illegal.
    That seems like bad advice. That's what I meant by saying within 24 hours, not after. Staying less than 24 hours does not exempt from the requirement to register. If he get's checked and hasn't registered the preceding stays, that would technically be illegal. E.g. Arrive on Monday evening stay over night, leave Tuesday morning. He comes back on Tuesday evening, get's checked. Now not having registered the stay on Monday has become illegal and he still has until the 24 hour period is over to register the stay on Tuesday night.

But you are right, in practice he might get away with it for a while. Unless he manages to annoy some nosy neighbor.