Like Tree13Likes

Shenzhen to HK commute

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Shenzhen to HK commute

Hi All,

I live and work in HK at the moment, but am looking into living in Shenzhen for personal reasons and do the commute. I hold a foreign passport and HK residence card (but not HK PR).

I work in Central, and was wondering what's the fastest way to make the commute from Shenzhen? Is living by Futian high-speed rail station the quickest or better to live in another area in Shenzhen? Would very much appreciate if anyone who is in a similar situation to me could provide any advice. I realize Chinese border is closed to foreigners at moment - asking for the future if/when these restrictions are lifted.

Thanks!

Yes, living near the high speed train is the fastest option. I would suggest living near the North Station because it's much cheaper than downtown Futian.

I don't think it's gonna be worth it though. Tickets are 150 RMB for the return trip per day.

The area around the North Station is not exactly nice (it's closer to a Tier 2 city), unless you live in one of the upscale developments like Hidden Valley or St. Moritz, but those aren't necessarily cheaper than HK, though the apartments are much larger.

If you don't have a residence permit for China you won't be able to use the e-gates at the border, which means you'll have to queue up twice daily, fill in the yellow paper and get your passport stamped. If you don't have a residence permit you are legally required to register with the local police station after every entry into China, i.e. every day in your case. The local police station might not care much if you don't that, but there is a real risk of getting picked up during a police check and fined, especially if you regularly hang out at bars frequented by lots of foreigners.
    Doing anything online is gonna suck, no Google, no Netflix, no Youtube.

Food is more expensive than HK, especially imported products.

Dealing with Chinese landlords is a pain in the ass, more so than in HK.

Healthcare sucks, although you could use the HK system unless it's an emergency.

On the plus side: Bigger apartments, more space in general, upscale restaurants are cheaper than in HK

drumbrake likes this.

If you can get an APAC business card from your employer, that will speed up the border crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    If you can get an APAC business card from your employer, that will speed up the border crossing.
    He said he isn't a PR

I considered doing this and would be ok if you just needed to come to HK once or twice a week but 5 days a week it would really suck. Two main problems.

1. you'll need some chinese visa. You can only do the 7 day visa free visit a certain amount of times each month.
    2. as a foreigner you have to re-register you're address with the police every time you leave and return to Shenzhen, not sure if they have the electronic registration like in Shanghai where it's just an app you download and take a selfie with your passport. Even this though would be annoying to do every day.

given current climate of wolf-warriors & hostage diplomacy, wouldn't be in a rush to visit let alone move to China

of course depends on the country you are from and whether you are from diaspora etc

Ferry from Futian (Shenzhen Wan Ko An) to Sheung Wan (Shun Tak Ferry Terminal) and the work over to Central via MTR, taxi, Ding Ding or by foot.

GentleGeorge likes this.

This is not suggested since your passport will be filled up by the entry/exit stamps at the China border quickly despite of the long line up at the immigration every day...

How are you planning on getting the residency visa in China? You should also note that there may be some impact on your taxes in the long term

https://www.sovereigngroup.com/news-...act-on-expats/

Crazy idea, I used to work in Shenzhen 10 years ago and I did the border crossing 5 days a week, holding a foreign passport meant I had to fill in the China Immigration form daily, Arrival and departure forms and get two chops a day, OMG passport fills up quite fast but filling in those damm forms was mind numbing lol

DONT DO IT, ITS NOT WORTH GOING CRAZY to save a few $$$$

TaD_LaLa likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast