Like Tree11Likes

Eligibility for HKSAR Passport - overseas-born Taiwanese with Taibaozheng?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

To my knowledge, if a person's eligibility for a HKPIC has been verified by virtue of No. 4 of Part 2 in Form ROP145, the person is ineligible to apply for a HKSAR Passport. But if this person is actually of Chinese descent, and wants to have a HKSAR Passport, then he/she has to prove it, and renounce the foreign nationality he/she possesses. The reason is "Article 3: The People’s Republic of China does not recognise dual nationality for any Chinese national."

Having said that, holders of HKSAR Passport, they can immigrate and have a foreign passport or foreign passports. In this case, if they don't make a declaration of renouncing Chinese nationality, their foreign passport(s) are just deemed travel documents. (See explanation 4: Chinese nationals of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region with right of abode in foreign countries may, for the purpose of travelling to other countries and territories, use the relevant documents issued by the foreign governments. However, they will not be entitled to consular protection in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and other parts of the People’s Republic of China on account of their holding the above mentioned documents.)

Quote Originally Posted by ltdconsultants:
    To my knowledge, if a person's eligibility for a HKPIC has been verified by virtue of No. 4 of Part 2 in Form ROP145, the person is ineligible to apply for a HKSAR Passport. But if this person is actually of Chinese descent, and wants to have a HKSAR Passport, then he/she has to prove it, and renounce the foreign nationality he/she possesses. The reason is "Article 3: The People’s Republic of China does not recognise dual nationality for any Chinese national."
    What if, in this case, the person's HKPIC was indeed verified using Option 4 in Part 2 of ROP145 (non-Chinese), but the person already holds Chinese nationality (in the form of ROC citizenship, which is viewed by the PRC as Chinese nationality)? Would that person still have to go through the process of naturalization for Chinese nationality that they in essence already have -- just for it to be recognized by the HKSAR government?

My answer is "yes" because it's nothing related to what you possess in essence, but what you declared initially when entering Hong Kong. If you get the HKPIC through option 4, and ask HKSAR government for a passport, there's a conflict.

You are actually not entitled to have the Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents since you have foreign nationality, but you did not disclose it to Mainland authority, so you got it...

covid likes this.

Hi,

Have you actually managed to get the hksar passport?

Quote Originally Posted by taibao:
    The reason I ask is I have some friends here in similar situations (foreign born Taiwanese) in HK who are permanent residents but qualified with their foreign nationalities. If they wanted to declare their Chinese nationality (and consequently
    get *** on their ID cards), do they have a way to do that? Kind of like a declaration of change of nationality, but in reverse (as in, rather than someone giving up Chinese nationality, someone claiming it)?

just apply. whats the worse that can happen? they say no

Quote Originally Posted by Fei88:
    When you apply for Permanent Residence ; make sure you tick the box saying a chinese person...instead of non chinese and provide your roc passport and taibaozheng copy.

If you get an PID with chinese citizenship proven ( 3 stars), hksar passport will be breeze which means apply and pick up a week later.

as a non chinese, you need to apply for naturalization as a chinese national first. It's not fun ; ton of documents, months of wait and renouncing your current nationality required.

My wife is in the same boat as you. Roc passport but have used her other nationality during her stay in hong kong. Plan for her is to directly apply PR as a chinese person. Quite curious how yours go. Please update here.
    As I have written before , it’s two different departments within HK Inmi and the passport department will make its own assessment, by reviewing the documents you have submitted when applying for HKPID.

As an update, yes I was able to get the HKSAR passport in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by taibao:
    As an update, yes I was able to get the HKSAR passport in the end.
    so now you have 3 different passports?

Correct, yes