Like Tree11Likes

Eligibility for HKSAR Passport - overseas-born Taiwanese with Taibaozheng?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Eligibility for HKSAR Passport - overseas-born Taiwanese with Taibaozheng?

Hi there,

I'm a Canadian-born Taiwanese dual citizen, holding an ROC passport and a Taibaozheng (台胞證) issued by the PRC. I'm currently coming up on 7 years living in Hong Kong (on my Canadian passport), so I will be eligible for permanent residency. However, given the HK Immigration Department defines Chinese citizenship for people like me using Article 5 of the Nationality Law (my parents were settled abroad, I got foreign citizenship at birth), I'm uncertain as to whether or not I'm actually eligible for the HKSAR passport -- however, at the same time I'm thinking that the Taibaozheng I have is sufficient proof of my Chinese nationality to the Chinese government?

Does anyone know if that would suffice? Or how Immigration would handle a case like this?

Thanks in advance!

You have a Canadian & ROC passport, Why do u want a HKSAR passport.

Figured might as well pick one up if I'm entitled to one

chuckster007 likes this.

The answer is no. HK Immd will perform its own assessment on your Chinese nationality eligibility irrespective of your taibaozheng.

There are quite a few overseas born HK people with Home Return Permit who have their HKSAR passport application rejected.

Even expats can get HKSAR passports, but they were Naturalised as Chinese Citizens and gave up their home passports.

Allan Zeman

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Zeman

Paul Zimmerman

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul...n_(politician)

Quote Originally Posted by kma88:
    The answer is no. HK Immd will perform its own assessment on your Chinese nationality eligibility irrespective of your taibaozheng.

There are quite a few overseas born HK people with Home Return Permit who have their HKSAR passport application rejected.
    Were they willing to give up their overseas passport?

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Were they willing to give up their overseas passport?
    Zeman had multiple ones (Canadian, at least an entitlement to a German one) and being of Jewish ancestry can get the Israeli one back whenever he wants. Zimmerman to my knowledge is HK only, as are several top brass at Swire.
    ArrynField and shri like this.

Like most countries you can probably renounce passport and claim back once.

I think you are likely to be able to get a HKSAR passport, given you that you are recognised as a Chinese citizen already with a Taibaozheng. You do not need to naturalise or give up any other citizenships.

I would show your
    Taibaozheng to IMMD as you are applying for your permanent ID to make sure it has the 3*** needed. Then I'd just go ahead and apply for a passport

chuckster007 likes this.

On the basis of your ROC Passport you have Chinese nationality and can apply for the HKSAR passport.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast