Like Tree21Likes

BC by descent applying for first adult UK Passport

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question BC by descent applying for first adult UK Passport

Hi all,
    I would like to ask for your advice. My son was born in HK, and is 19 years old. If he is a BC by descent, can he applies for the UK passport now and in the future? Is there any age restriction there, like, he cannot apply anymore because he already older than 18 ?

(He has HKSAR passport only, no BNO, and not applied for UK passport before.)

Thanks!

I assume u mean that you or the other parent is a British citizen?

If you or other parent was born in the UK or were naturalized, it seems possible by this:
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship...-1983-and-2006

Pana likes this.

Hi Macurri,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I was granted the British Citizenship through the British Nationality (HK) Selection Scheme (BNSS) in the 1990’s, I have the Cert of Registration which states “British Nationality (Hong Kong) Act 1990”. So, I am a BC Otherwise by Descent and my son is automatically a BC by Descent at the time of his birth?

We have not yet applied for the UK passports and we have HKSARS passports only. If my son is already BC by Descent at birth, can he applies for UK passport now or in the future directly? He is 19 years old now, can he still apply?

Pana, I'm not an expert on British nationality laws nor am I a British citizen, but in the link I provided above eligibility for people that got British citizenship by application in principle.

given citizenship after applying for it in their own right (not based on having a British parent)
    So I'd just contact the consulate general with this question. They should be able to help.
    Pana likes this.

Speak to British Connections
    They’ll advise you
    https://www.britishconnections.com/

Pana likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pana:
    I was granted the British Citizenship through the British Nationality (HK) Selection Scheme (BNSS) in the 1990’s, I have the Cert of Registration which states “British Nationality (Hong Kong) Act 1990”. So, I am a BC Otherwise by Descent and my son is automatically a BC by Descent at the time of his birth?
    I see no reason why he cannot apply since you have the cert of registration, you will need to send that with the passport application.
    Pana likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Speak to British Connections
    They’ll advise you
    https://www.britishconnections.com/
    Might be a good solution if you want to apply for some kind of settlement visa etc... But in this case I think it's very clear and an agency is a waste of money then.
    Pana likes this.

Thanks Chuckster007. So, my son who is now 19, with HKSARS passport only, can he apply for his first UK passport now or anytime in future? There is no such rule that a BC by descent must apply for his first UK passport before he reaches 18?

Last edited by Pana; 02-07-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    Pana, I'm not an expert on British nationality laws nor am I a British citizen, but in the link I provided above eligibility for people that got British citizenship by application in principle. So I'd just contact the consulate general with this question. They should be able to help.
    Hi mucaari, Thanks for your info. Do you mean you have helped to forward my question to the consulate general and am now waiting for their reply?

Quote Originally Posted by Pana:
    Thanks Chuckster007. So, my son who is now 19, with HKSARS passport only, can he apply for his first UK passport now or anytime in future? There is no such rule that a BC by descent must apply for his first UK passport before he reaches 18?
    I looked and couldnt find any such rule for British Passport has to be applied before 18 rule. I would go ahead and apply NOW and not wait for later. Rules keep changing all the time.
    Pana likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast