How common are Reference Checks in Hong Kong ?

How common are Reference Checks in Hong Kong ?

I have heard Hong Kong is lax when it comes to pre/post-employment reference checks (Unless you are in Finance or are a senior level executive)

• How true is that? What have your experiences been ?
    • Did the new employer call your old employer ? Did they use the contact on the reference letter (call or email) or straight up call the HR ?

Thanks!

[Sorry I used the wrong thread to post this. Can't delete it now but have re-posted in the right sub-forum : https://geoexpat.com/forum/26/thread...ml#post3740464]
    Last edited by tysa; 31-07-2020 at 11:17 PM.

No one here can properly ease your insecurty about your candiddacy for the job IMO.

It's not about insecurity, I'm just wondering if they would call one of my past employer who didn't like me too much

Also, I think I worded it in a way that was generic and not specific to me so I'm not sure what you're referring to

I just want to know about others' experience

Last edited by tysa; 01-08-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tysa:
    It's not about insecurity, I'm just wondering if they would call one of my past employer who didn't like me too much

Also, I think I worded it in a way that was generic and not specific to me so I'm not sure what you're referring to
    I can't speak for your past employer but I certainly wouldn't give a reference over the phone... in fact, in most cases, I probably wouldn't give a reference at all beyond your position and dates... Most managers I know in the UK, at least, feel the same...

I've worked in educational establishments (children) who didn't request/require background (Criminal Records) background checks. I'm not bragging, I'm just saying that some places have no scruples.

Quote Originally Posted by tysa:

I just want to know about others' experience
    For legal liability reasons (defamation etc.) most multinationals (meaning employees told not to give references) won't do anything but verify employment. For smaller local companies IMO anything can happen. Regardless of size of company, if you work in an industry which is really networked in you may be discussed among peers without any reference. I wouldn't worry about any of this and just focus on demonstrating what value you can bring to the prospective employer.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    For legal liability reasons (defamation etc.) most multinationals (meaning employees told not to give references) won't do anything but verify employment. For smaller local companies IMO anything can happen. Regardless of size of company, if you work in an industry which is really networked in you may be discussed among peers without any reference. I wouldn't worry about any of this and just focus on demonstrating what value you can bring to the prospective employer.
    Thank you for your response.

And how would they verify employment? What are the usual ways to do that? Call HR or hiring manager/reference contact?
    I've heard that many companies don't even do that and a reference letter is enough for them
    Last edited by tysa; 01-08-2020 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    I can't speak for your past employer but I certainly wouldn't give a reference over the phone... in fact, in most cases, I probably wouldn't give a reference at all beyond your position and dates... Most managers I know in the UK, at least, feel the same...
    That makes sense.

Would you prefer an email or a call for verification purposes? And would you contact on the details in the reference letter or the HR of a pervious employer?