Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 1 Post By Sage
  • 2 Post By Sage

HELP: Hong Kong Employment visa issue - sponsorship needs extending (not the visa)

HELP: Hong Kong Employment visa issue - sponsorship needs extending (not the visa)

Hi there,

I work in Hong Kong and my visa is currently under their sponsorship of my employer. However, the confirmation letter sent to me by the IMMD says 02-07-2020 to Augst-2020 (the date my contract ends).. I have been given the chance to keep working for them for another year... My visa is to expire July 2022, I tried to book an appointment online for renewing but it says I cannot as my visa is not within 4 months of expiry.

My visa was extended by two years as I had intended employment from a kindergarten that later rescinded the employment offer. Thus I had my employment visa changed back to my previous employer. The director of immigration approved me to go back to my old job.

I called my case officer told me how due to the limited services being provided at the IMMD - only visas that expire on the date this month can be submitted in person. I asked him as my visa isn't the thing expiring, but the conditions are "employment until 31st August”.

What I have is a visa set to expire in 2 years, and employment permission to work in for my original job until Aug 31. Has anyone had issues trying to extend their employment sponsorship during this month? I’ve been told different things by the IMMD. One told me I can submit my proof employment letter showing new contract end date/salary etc, HKID/Passport copy and ID91. Another person said I need to wait until the last day of my employment (on the IMMD confirmation letter)

I hope anyone can share their experiences - did you just go for the dropbox?

I found your post confusing.
    If you are continuing to work for the employer who sponsored your visa, you need do nothing. A new contract is irrelevant.
    If you are working for a different employer you need a new visa application (commonly called a transfer but actually a new visa).
    Neither of the above is an extension which may be your problem.

Jackson30 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I found your post confusing.
    If you are continuing to work for the employer who sponsored your visa, you need do nothing. A new contract is irrelevant.
    If you are working for a different employer you need a new visa application (commonly called a transfer but actually a new visa).
    Neither of the above is an extension which may be your problem.

Hi Katherine, Thank you for your response. The immigration officer told me that my application was permitted until the end of August... But after that date, if no application is further lodged then who is sponsoring my visa...

The inquiry hotline said to submit previously stated documents through dropbox and wait for IMMD officer to confirm. Another one said I need to wait until the last date of my sponsorship. I went in and showed them the confirmation letter and she circled the date 31-08-2020 and said to come and submit on that day
    I am really confused as I’m hearing two different things. I’ve attached below a edited copy of my confirmation if this will help.

I am pleased to inform you that permission has been given for you to take up employment with **************** for the post of ******* from (date) to 31-08-2020.
    Please note that your current limit of stay in Hong Kong is valid **-**-2022.You should apply for further extension of stay approximately 4 weeks prior to its expiry, if applicable, and obtain prior approval from the Immigration Department before taking up any other forms of employment

I assume as a teacher you get an annual contract, not a permanent contract, so I also assume all you need is a new annual contract to cover the next year of employment.

I'd simply get the new contract and send a copy of it to immigration along with your case details.

Maybe some teachers will care to comment.

gigglinggal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    I assume as a teacher you get an annual contract, not a permanent contract, so I also assume all you need is a new annual contract to cover the next year of employment.

I'd simply get the new contract and send a copy of it to immigration along with your case details.

Maybe some teachers will care to comment.
    Hello Sage, I have those documents.. A confirmation letter of employment good for a year from the 31st Aug, Signed ID91 and photocopies of my travel/HKID. I tried to submit it on last Saturday and was told to come in on the 31st (despite this not being the expiry date of my visa).

The difference is that I have a visa that doesn't expire for the next two years - but permission to work for less than that. I'm hoping that submitting via the drop-in box would at least get the process moving, rather than submitting it at the end of the month itself.

Anyone had any experience with this? How about submitting via the dropbox? Do the immd send a confirmation when they process dropbox applications?

Problem solved. Close thread please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson30:
    Problem solved. Close thread please.
    Why don't you explain how the problem was solved to help others, particularly if the solution was a simple one.
    shri and Zylian like this.