15 23.44%
  • In 2022

17 26.56%
Like Tree119Likes

Border reopening

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I sure do wish the mainland border would open up (to HK residents who happen to be foreigners).
    The border is technically open to foreigners (for business purposes anyway), you only need to quarantine 14 days

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    The border is technically open to foreigners (for business purposes anyway), you only need to quarantine 14 days
    Do you know a good site to find the most up-to-date information in English?

Am I required to get a special visa or can I use my existing one? Can APEC card holders go (with spouses)?

Do you know a good site to find the most up-to-date information in English?

Am I required to get a special visa or can I use my existing one? Can APEC card holders go (with spouses)?
    All existing visa are suspended. You can apply for a new residence/work permit at any embassy yourself, if you still have a valid one that has been suspended. If you don't have one you need someone from the Mainland (family/employer) to sponsor you for a new visa through the foreign affairs office of their city. Can't use an APEC card atm, only family reunion/employment/"necessary" business afaik.

https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/ce/cedk/eng/cs/t1805331.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mwong222:
    The HK people will probably riot if the public health code is put into effect in HK. As far as I can tell, the code keeps track of everywhere you (the phone) has been and your current location. All of this is reported to the government. I don't see this being used in any 'free' country.
    The health code app gets your location from your cell phone provider (based on cell IDs is my guess) and it stays green as long as you haven't traveled to an area with an outbreak. It doesn't seem to be very exact, I've traveled around the PRD and the app doesn't show every city I've been to. The app also doesn't require a negative Covid test to turn green, it's green by default.
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 25-08-2020 at 10:51 PM.

@mrgoodkat basically forget it, two systems and all that... borders suddenly seem quite restrictive. *sigh* I mean, I'm not dying to go to the mainland, but this all seems disproportionate to the risks and outbreak. China has 0 cases, right?

Anyway, I will think fondly back to our weekend holidays around China, all done without a care pre-2014, pre-2019, pre-2020... Tiger Leaping Gorge, Yangshuo, Guangzhuo gardens, Guizhou, Changsha, dinner in Shenzhen, Beijing, Kunming & Dali, noisy Dapeng peninsula *sigh* *sigh* *sigh* long gone are the days... so close, yet so far. Never thought I'd miss the motherland so much...

It was always so exciting to walk over that bridge and into a different culture.

mrgoodkat and Coolboy like this.

@mrgoodkat basically forget it, two systems and all that... borders suddenly seem quite restrictive. *sigh* I mean, I'm not dying to go to the mainland, but this all seems disproportionate to the risks and outbreak. China has 0 cases, right?
    Yes, it's pretty ridiculous. How are they ever gonna promote the Greater Bay Area again after this clusterfuck? Seeing how Macau and Zhuhai had a travel arrangement all the way back in June and HK didn't have any cases at that time, it seems like an elaborate plan to cancel our election and nothing else.

I'm not missing traveling around China for holiday, that has always annoyed me to no end. But I hadn't realized how much I appreciate being able to have dinner with friends in Shenzhen. There is just so much more choice than in HK.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Yes, it's pretty ridiculous. How are they ever gonna promote the Greater Bay Area again after this clusterfuck? Seeing how Macau and Zhuhai had a travel arrangement all the way back in June and HK didn't have any cases at that time, it seems like an elaborate plan to cancel our election and nothing else.

I'm not missing traveling around China for holiday, that has always annoyed me to no end. But I hadn't realized how much I appreciate being able to have dinner with friends in Shenzhen. There is just so much more choice than in HK.
    I think the last time we were in China I might have sworn it off and said never again! Too damn noisy, dirty and chaotic for me! How do times change... But I miss walking across, changing language, and meeting a can-do enthusiastic attitude.

I've been very grateful to be in Hong Kong of all places through this. I've been patient and conservative about going out to do my part. Whatever skepticism I have of the government, I've put aside because I believe there is the right expertise guiding society both officially and unofficially. Now, though, I'm losing my patience as I can't even make much of the weekend. There's only so many online zoom lessons you can do as a "hobby" all summer... I guess it's a fair point, it's all becoming a scheme to ensure face saving for the canceled elections.
    Coolboy likes this.

it is lovely at present tho without with all the 10RMB bus passers traipsing about

Anyone had any luck going to Shenzen recently using apec card : I tried a month ago and was told no chance : they also would not accept my application for a new Q 2visa :
    I was basically told by China visa office last month to not even try to apply unless I was an essential foreign worker : wife and house on the mainland didn't count my old Q2visa and apec didn't count

Paxbritannia likes this.

Anyway, I will think fondly back to our weekend holidays around China, all done without a care pre-2014, pre-2019, pre-2020... Tiger Leaping Gorge, Yangshuo, Guangzhuo gardens, Guizhou, Changsha, dinner in Shenzhen, Beijing, Kunming & Dali, noisy Dapeng peninsula *sigh* *sigh* *sigh* long gone are the days... so close, yet so far. Never thought I'd miss the motherland so much...

It was always so exciting to walk over that bridge and into a different culture.
    yep, our plan when we left HK In July was to spend 3/4 weeks travelling round China and them heading home across land via Mongolia, Khasakstan, east Europe.

OK we had 6 weeks exploring Greece instead but it was sad we couldn’t end our stay in HK in that way. Not sure we will do China again now, my feelings towards it have become tainted with all that’s gone on.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    I was basically told by China visa office last month to not even try to apply unless I was an essential foreign worker : wife and house on the mainland didn't count my old Q2visa and apec didn't count
    If your wife is currently in Shenzhen she can sponsor you for a new visa through the foreign affairs office. She needs to apply for a so called "PU letter" for you, which you then take to the Chinese consulate to apply for a new visa.

http://fao.sz.gov.cn/ydmh/xxgk/zyxw/...5_19255818.htm
    hongkong7 and dengxi like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast