Like Tree128Likes

Covid & Losing ROA Status - 36 Month Entry Exemptions?

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11

Quote Originally Posted by BritishRose:
    No my friends are in similar situation as me as they are also foreigners but have somehow gained their 3*** through their parents who are also Hong Kongers. Possibly because of all the complications during and after the handover.
    2 Immigration Officers also questioned me as to why I didn't return to HK during the 36 months, hence the interview.
    They never asked me about why I didn't replace my HKID card sooner.
    Sounds like you might be confusing PR with this 3 star thingy. I am a HKPR, but never have had 3 stars on my HKID and will never get this under any circumstances (I am Australian with no family in HK and no links to HK at all except the fact I worked there for > 7 years). So in my case I need to visit once every 36 months to keep the PR.

It's possible due to COVID immigraiton might be a bit lenient in bending this rule, you are the first person I've read about with some evidence of this, but then you mentioned about the 3 stars which to me is Chinese nationals, these people don't need to visit every 36 months to keep PR and never did before or after COVID. So the quesition is more about those PR without the 3 star, are they able to keep PR even after not visiting for 36 months? Do you have the 3 star or not?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Sounds like you might be confusing PR with this 3 star thingy. I am a HKPR, but never have had 3 stars on my HKID and will never get this under any circumstances (I am Australian with no family in HK and no links to HK at all except the fact I worked there for > 7 years). So in my case I need to visit once every 36 months to keep the PR.

It's possible due to COVID immigraiton might be a bit lenient in bending this rule, you are the first person I've read about with some evidence of this, but then you mentioned about the 3 stars which to me is Chinese nationals, these people don't need to visit every 36 months to keep PR and never did before or after COVID. So the quesition is more about those PR without the 3 star, are they able to keep PR even after not visiting for 36 months? Do you have the 3 star or not?
    I got PR status through my mum who's a Hong Konger and I was born overseas before the handover, but I don't have 3*** on my HKID.
    It just says Permanent Identity Card and the letters AO - A meaning I have ROA and O meaning to note the fact that I wasn't born in HK.
    It's possible that I don't have 3*** due to my mum not being able to go to HK physically at the time to complete the paperwork before the handover deadline as my parents were too busy running a business.

There is a thread about ROA for people who were born overseas which explains things a little bit more:
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread365760.html

About the 3 year rule, my friends who have 3*** on their HKID were also asked about why didn't they return for 36 months, so I'm not sure if things have changed?
    Last edited by BritishRose; 12-06-2023 at 01:35 PM.
    C64 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aritaurus:
    If they didn't have the replacement exercise for the next gen HKID, I bet many of those folks can still hold onto their Permanent Identity Cards for another 10 years or so despite no longer having the right of abode.

Many of these folks probably won't even know that they've been downgraded.
    It's certainly the case for those who still haven't returned to HK to sort their PR out and replace HKID.
    My friend had to reverify his PR in May this year because like many foreigners, he wasn't able to return during COVID-19, but just today his application got approved.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11