Like Tree128Likes

Covid & Losing ROA Status - 36 Month Entry Exemptions?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Covid & Losing ROA Status - 36 Month Entry Exemptions?

Hi guys,

Do you know if there are any special arrangements for permanent residents who are required to travel to HK to extend their permanent residency (the 36-month rule) considering the current travel restrictions? I know I can enter HK, but I'll have to plan a month off to be able to go through the mandatory quarantine and still enjoy the city while I'm there ALso, I do believe it would be more reasonable to avoid the unnecessary risk of spreading the virus. Has the Immigration Department come up with an alternative solution?

Thanks a ton!

Corrib likes this.

No exemption.

Quote Originally Posted by betaloc:
    Hi guys,

Do you know if there are any special arrangements for permanent residents who are required to travel to HK to extend their permanent residency (the 36-month rule) considering the current travel restrictions? I know I can enter HK, but I'll have to plan a month off to be able to go through the mandatory quarantine and still enjoy the city while I'm there ALso, I do believe it would be more reasonable to avoid the unnecessary risk of spreading the virus. Has the Immigration Department come up with an alternative solution?

Thanks a ton!
    Note that even if you don't visit HK got 36 months you will still have Right to Land, which allows you to work and live in HK. Your status of Right of Abode just changes.

I know 2 people that have had to ´do the Q’ in the last few weeks to keep their PR alive.

Pointless.... welcome to HK

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Note that even if you don't visit HK got 36 months you will still have Right to Land, which allows you to work and live in HK. Your status of Right of Abode just changes.
    Yup you just can’t vote and no longer elegible for any government handouts amongst other things.

ROA

You will lose your ROA and your status will change to RTL. You can still enter Hong Kong work, study and live here without any restrictions. You can even sponsor your dependents. But to regain ROA you need to wait for 7 years again.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Yup you just can’t vote and no longer elegible for any government handouts amongst other things.
    The much neglected 'amongst other things', what are they exactly that you lose when downgrading to RTL?

As far as I'm aware:
    No 10k stimulus checks and their ilk
    You have to pay foreigner stamp duty if buying a property
    Can be deported if you're convicted of a crime?
    Can't vote.
    Can't pass your residency status onto your kids under RTL?

Can:
    Work/study/live without a visa
    Sponsor a dependant
    Last edited by Sage; 07-09-2020 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Typo
    shri, pin, AsianXpat0 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    The much neglected 'amongst other things', what are they exactly that you lose when downgrading to RTL?

As far as I'm aware:
    No 10k stimulus checks and their ilk
    You have to pay foreigner stamp duty if buying a property
    Can be deported if you're convicted of a crime?
    Can't vote.
    Can't pass your residency status onto your kids under RTL?

Can:
    Work/study/live without a visa
    Sponsor a dependant
    Give it another year and there will be no voting for anyone anyway.

Another few cons:
    - can't get an APEC card under RTL?
    - can't apply for HK passport and Chinese citizenship?

Thank you guys for all your responses. The Right of ABode is still quite important to me, so I guess I'll have to go through the quarantine ...

Pity. It would be a great idea if they extended people's 36 months to, say, 3 months after travel restrictions are lifted.

Thanks again!
    Enjoy the lovely city!

shri likes this.

Got a formal reply from the HK Immd via email regarding the subject, short version is no dice...

The required period of absence from Hong Kong, i.e. a continuous period of not less than 36 months, following which a HKSAR permanent resident will lose his HKSAR permanent resident status or eligibility to be taken as such is prescribed by law, namely the Immigration Ordinance. There is no provision in the Ordinance empowering the Director of Immigration to extend or enlarge the period of absence or empowering him to waive compliance with these statutory provisions on grounds of exceptional hardship or unforeseen circumstances.

jimbo and jgl like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast