PAPER HKID

Closed Thread

PAPER HKID

Just wanting to check here if anyone knows.

Temporary paper ID (valid for a month) is issued prior to the plastic HKID. I know they can be used at the border areas to leave / enter HK as valid ID but just wanting to check if these are able to be used for banks and so on in HK?

I am just in the situation where I may not be able to pick the plastic one up for a few weeks but would like to open a bank account / do a few other bits and pieces in the mean time.

Not life or death type stuff, but more so convenience of not having to wait an additional few weeks.

Yes. They can be used for all purposes.

Yes, they can be used.

Some companies might ask you to send them a copy / upload a scan of your card once you receive it.

Yes. Banks will ask you to bring the actual one (or fax it ) once you have it and update your file.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Yes, they can be used.

Some companies might ask you to send them a copy / upload a scan of your card once you receive it.
    This. HSBC did with us.

And I've also been told by one of the digital banks - you need a proper card to open the account online. Not the paper one - as their image processing routines do not handle temp cards.