Like Tree9Likes

Any advice on how to speed up GEP Reconsideration Request (work visa appeal)?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any advice on how to speed up GEP Reconsideration Request (work visa appeal)?

Hi all,

So after waiting for four months my GEP visa was declined. Me employer and I are appealing the decision but they really do need someone in the role ASAP. The appeal was sent in about three weeks ago - does anyone have any advice on the best way to try and get HKID to review my case in the next week or two?

Coming up to five months now from the date of offer and there's only so long my new employer can wait (which I completely understand). I've been hired for a leadership role (I have several years management experience) paying circa 50,000HKD p/m. Whilst I didn't go to University, I have tertiary education in my field of expertise.

Everyone I've spoken to is shocked my visa was declined, so we're hopeful the appeal will be successful, but if it's not dealt with in the next few weeks then there's a possibility my role will no longer be available!!

Any help very much appreciated.

If your employer can't document and prove why they can't find a local and can't sustantiate why you are a better candidate than a local, who is also likely to be trilingual, IMO you don't have enough merit for a visa. With the current high rate of unemployment in Hong Kong, its going to be tough to win your case IMO. Also, despite being a leadership role, your salary does not imply C-Suite where there may be more room for ambiguity. I would instead focus on a scarce expert angle if that fits your case.

You and the company should keep in mind the days of a Brit jetting in and thinking they will take over are long gone. I think your prospective employer needs to get some feedback for the rejection and focus on refuting the specifics but IMO its been laid out for you above.

Last edited by RMDNC; 24-10-2020 at 12:35 AM.
    Hkemail888 likes this.

Ideally the company wanted to hire someone with existing eligibility to work in HK. A local was doing the job previously but moved to Shenzhen at the start of the year. They interviewed a load of people in HK but couldn't find what they needed (it's a relatively niche job) so they asked a recruitment agency to search globally.

The employer has hired internationally several times before as they're a fairly large firm, so they know how to put a strong case together. The appeal, tailored to the reason of rejection, includes extensive evidence of trying to hire locally.

So I'm comfortable with the content of the appeal, the difficulty is getting it looked at in a timely manner.

Specifically, does anyone have any ideas on how to try and speed this along? E-mail? I only have the generic HKID email and a Senior Case Officer hasn't been assigned to my case yet so how do I highlight as urgent? Phone call? Who do I try to speak with? Visit? Can someone physically go to HKID to try and speed things up?
    Any other suggestions?

I know this has been a very challenging year for so many and I'm not trying to say my case is more important than others. But it has reached a point where it is time sensitive so I need to explore every possibility to try and get a positive outcome here.

Many thanks in advance.

Here's something that has worked in the past, not sure if there is any chance of it working now.

Find the department that is processing your appeal and consider contacting a senior officer - all with due care and extreme caution (and humility)... things can go both ways ...

www.directory.gov.hk

The big problem these days is that most email addresses have been anonymised and point to generic enquiry emails.

Best of luck...

(Hopefully this is not a media / journalism related post and also hopefully your employer has done some good due diligence and documented that they advertised, interviewed and rejected local candidates without any biases...)

Brit_Abroad likes this.

Visting the office helps IMO.

Brit_Abroad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Visting the office helps IMO.
    For an appeal?

While your own advice is accretive, your manner of delivering it continues to show severe mental issues and inability to get along with many people on this board. The catalyst for this must have been traumatic. Get some help. I feel bad for you.

Last edited by RMDNC; 25-10-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks for the info guys. Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution!!

Original Post Deleted
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Two weeks is super quick! As you say, I guess the relationships really help.

When did you apply for the visa please? Recently or some years ago?

Cheers!!

Original Post Deleted
    Thanks.

Yeah, I'm pretty optimistic.

Will update with progress.
    TheBrit likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast