Like Tree52Likes

Accidentally overstayed my tourist visa by almost one month

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Accidentally overstayed my tourist visa by almost one month

I cannot believe I did this. I thought my visa was expiring end of this year and ai found out it wss late September.

My spoyse has been working here for 3 years and he was born and raised in HK. He also has a US Passport and worked in the US for over 20 years before coming back to HK. I am a US citizen and so is my 7 year old son. We have been living in Texas and shuttling to HK to visit my spouse/his dad for the past 3 years.

OK! so Covid happened and we couldnt come to HK until late June after his school year finished. Now we have started the new school year virtually and decided to do school while in HK so we can all soend time together. I’ve been meaning to apply for a dependent visa and didn’t get a chance to do it and then realized that holy crap we sre overstaying our visa almost a month!

Should I lawyer up? We were planning to go back to the US esrly next year but I think were goung to get deported! What steps should I take? I’m thinking about calling the US Consulate and then going to ID in Wanchai. I’m reaading oists about keaving and then coming back but that can’t be done with Coronavirus. My in laws live in Macao but there’s no guarantee they’ll let us back in HK after overstaying a visa. And then there’s quarantine. Macao won’t let us in with US passports anyway.

I have a feeling this will not go well when I go to Wanchai early this week.

Thanks in advance.

Generally HK Immigration is pretty fair and reasonable. Under the present travel restricted circumstances, visiting HK immigration and sorting something out is about your only option and you might get an extension of another month or 3. The sooner you visit, the better it will be. You might have to also pay for a small fine for each day you were over, but should be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by librarygirl2:
    I thought my visa was expiring end of this year and ai found out it wss late September.
    You said you have been here numerous times to visit your spouse in the last 3 years, so you would know your tourist visa is for 90 days, why would it magically become more this time?
    Coolboy likes this.

Thanks. We’ll find out what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    You said you have been here numerous times to visit your spouse in the last 3 years, so you would know your tourist visa is for 90 days, why would it magically become more this time?
    I really didnt pay attention because before the pandemic I was going to Macao every other weekend to visit in-laws and I stayed less than 6-8 weeks in HK before going back to the US. I never thought that I would overstay my visa because the dates kept resetting. Still, I am accountavble.

Breach of condition of stay is an arrestable offence, I would definitely go try to seek an extension from the immigration department.

OP

definitely the first thing you should do on Tuesday (tomorrow) Immigration HK ... No other way around imho

I would not worry about it. Just tell the truth and they might ask you to pay a fine. IMO they are reasonable people.

It will be fine as you are a US citizen. If you were from a “brown” country then it would be a bit more serious.
    No need for a lawyer, just go to Immd and ‘fess up.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by franckthetank:
    Breach of condition of stay is an arrestable offence, I would definitely go try to seek an extension from the immigration department.
    should i fill out some type of form and also write a letter?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast