Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By riversidejr
  • 1 Post By Sith
  • 1 Post By Sage
  • 2 Post By shri

Entry into HK for non-residents/HK Nationals/BNO passport holders right now (during covid)

Closed Thread

Entry into HK for non-residents/HK Nationals/BNO passport holders right now (during covid)

Hi All - wanted to seek the collective wisdom on Geo...

I have a friend (non-HK PR/national/BNO etc), british national, whose mother passed away suddenly a few days ago. She was divorced and my friend is an only child. She was a HK PR but he is not. He is the sole executor of her will and as you would expect there is a lot of stuff to handle.

Due to Covid, under normal circumstances he cannot enter HK, however I am wondering if anyone on Geo has heard/knows of any exceptions or has any suggestions on how he can enter HK to sort out the probate etc. Its a tough situation already since her passing was very sudden (she was a regular ballroom dancer and pretty fit, but had a sudden brain hemorrhage) and this whole covid f-kery has made it worse.

I've suggested he link in with the chinese embassy in london as a first step.

any suggestions welcome! thanks in advance.

First of all sorry for your friend's loss. I suggest he/you joins the HK Quarantine Support Group - there should be more wisdom on this matter than here and if memory serves right there have been a few cases who were granted entry permission based on compassionate grounds.

Does he have a HK ID card? Even if it’s non-PR.

Shiojiri Hiro likes this.

<delete>

Nope, unfortunately not. He isnt much tied to HK...

I have heard of immigration granting exceptions in extenuating circumstances, AND i have heard of immigration denying people be excused of Q. for the deaths of family members.

Assuming he would be willing to Q., I think he'd have a chance - But how big that chance, only immigration will confirm.

Shiojiri Hiro likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by riversidejr:
    First of all sorry for your friend's loss. I suggest he/you joins the HK Quarantine Support Group - there should be more wisdom on this matter than here and if memory serves right there have been a few cases who were granted entry permission based on compassionate grounds.
    Yes. There is room for exemption as specified and the 'Chief Secretary' has the power to make the exemptions. Not sure how the practicalities work. The Qtine group should have more real life info on this.

OP search the left column for this: " Chief Secretary may exempt certain persons"

https://www.elegislation.gov.hk/hk/cap599E

Also (and I am really really not sure if this is the right way to do this)

CS Office info:

https://tel.directory.gov.hk/index_CSPO_ENG.html