Like Tree39Likes

Overstayed 14 months! This is my experience...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You don't need to tell us, but I am trying to figure out what could be the unique set of circumstances that made you overstay for 14 months.

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    hodoree didn't say he was banned from reentry. And yes, paying a fine is in your record, right?
    Well I didn't really pay a fine. I had to put up 500 HKD for bail money, which I received back after the court hearing. I also asked the immigration prosecutor officer whether I would be banned or would have trouble with reentry if I should come back and he said no. So I guess everything is ok.
    shri, Mrs. Jones and Rob2020 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Thanks for this, and I'm glad it ended 'well'.

How long was there between you going to immigration and going to court? And presumably you've been barred from entering Hong Kong - can I ask for how long, under what conditions?
    I went to the prosecutor on Friday and they scheduled me for my court date on the following Thursday. Then the next day I went back to the prosecutor's office to pick up my passport. You have to have a ticket to leave HK before they give you your passport back.
    shri and vmlinuz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    You don't need to tell us, but I am trying to figure out what could be the unique set of circumstances that made you overstay for 14 months.
    It's a long and convoluted story. But I'm glad it's all over and am back in Korea, which is where my residence is.
    shri, drumbrake and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hodoree:
    It's a long and convoluted story. But I'm glad it's all over and am back in Korea, which is where my residence is.
    Thank you for updating us. Many of us have similar stories within our social groups of people overstaying and randomly getting on with life, "forgetting" or becoming immune to the fact that they're overstaying.

Glad it worked out for you. Best wishes...
    hodoree likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Thank you for updating us. Many of us have similar stories within our social groups of people overstaying and randomly getting on with life, "forgetting" or becoming immune to the fact that they're overstaying.

Glad it worked out for you. Best wishes...
    Thank you very much for the kind words. Yes it wasn't an intentional overstay and sometimes things happen in life that caused such inconveniences. Best wishes to you as well.
    Eva C likes this.

Wow, your story raised my pulse for a while! I can only imagine how nervous you felt waiting for your hearing.

Glad to hear it all worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by hodoree:
    Well I didn't really pay a fine. I had to put up 500 HKD for bail money, which I received back after the court hearing. I also asked the immigration prosecutor officer whether I would be banned or would have trouble with reentry if I should come back and he said no. So I guess everything is ok.
    I think there was a benefit to your passport then. However we don't know the back story and that may have influenced the decision. As I say they are human.