Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RMDNC

Lost Job Due to Covid, Now Visa is about up

Closed Thread

Lost Job Due to Covid, Now Visa is about up

I lost my job in August (my clients were CX, and Marriott - Travel related) and my work visa is up in a few weeks (November). I am wondering what will happen when I ask for an extension during Covid. I know before I could just leave and enter as a tourist with 3 more months, now of course that is not an option.

I am an American and I have lived in Asia for 18 years (13 in China and now 3 in HK). I do not have a home in the US to got back to, I would love to get to anywhere in SEA to ride this out but of course its all closed.

When I called immigration they said show up on the day your visa expires and ask for an extension and it is case by case. No one could say for how long or what to expect? Has anyone heard?

Anyone know what will happen to my extension request? Any options?

IMO ask them to give you a tourist visa max duration of 90 days, then try to exend it later. Write a letter addressed to immigration citing the reason. Be truthful and state what happened and how you have lived in HK for 3 years and even longer in Greater China, that is its a health risk for you to move at this time, and most importanly state (and demonstrate) you have the financial resources to stay in Hong Kong for a long time. I think the key is its a hardship and risk for you to move immediately and have the resources to stay and would not need public assistance. They are reasonable people as long as you have valid and honest reasons.

Shiojiri Hiro likes this.

Register yourself as a sole proprietor consultant in whatever your field was. Get an extension using this company. If they ask to see revenue etc, you just say "Covid... Waiting"....

Yes good idea to show the bank statement I was getting a letter prepared from my previous employer.

Is there a thread on this? Any more info, on how long it takes and costs? Do I need a lawyer? Thanks. This makes a lot of sense as I am a consultant - if I have enough time and don't need a lawyer.

Yes good idea to show the bank statement I was getting a letter prepared from my previous employer.

there are some dodgy accounting companies that will apply for a work visa for you if you open a company with them. Or you can ask a friend to apply for a work visa for you if they own a company (need to have locals hired otherwise they don't let you apply for foreigner visa).

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    there are some dodgy accounting companies that will apply for a work visa for you if you open a company with them. Or you can ask a friend to apply for a work visa for you if they own a company (need to have locals hired otherwise they don't let you apply for foreigner visa).
    How do you find these accounting companies?