Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat

Does guardian visa exist for Non-Chinese nationalities?

Question Does guardian visa exist for Non-Chinese nationalities?

Hello everyone, just had a thought about Guardian visa for non-Chinese nationality parents whose kids hold HKSAR passport.

My kid was born in HK and has got HKSAR passport as she is Chinese decedent. My husband and I are living in HK on work visas. None of us are Chinese nationality (I lost Chinese nationality due to immigrating to a foreign country). Just in case we both lost our job or no longer renew our work visas, will we be able to apply Guardian visa depending on our kid (she is under 11 years old)?

Quote Originally Posted by wedance520:
    Hello everyone, just had a thought about Guardian visa for non-Chinese nationality parents whose kids hold HKSAR passport.

My kid was born in HK and has got HKSAR passport as she is Chinese decedent. My husband and I are living in HK on work visas. None of us are Chinese nationality (I lost Chinese nationality due to immigrating to a foreign country). Just in case we both lost our job or no longer renew our work visas, will we be able to apply Guardian visa depending on our kid (she is under 11 years old)?
    No, and those don't even exist for Chinese nationals. Once your child is over 18 and you are over 60 it might be possible to sponsor you as dependents.
    shri likes this.

What mrgoodkat said - it is based on the ability of the person sponsoring "dependants" on their ability to support them. Elderly parents can be sponsored based on the sponsor's financial ability.

Having said that - you really should contact immd and see what they have to say ( [email protected] ). As with many things in HK there is some amount of flexibility or their might be some edge case issues which might allow IMMD to give you a better answer.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the quick responses.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Having said that - you really should contact immd and see what they have to say ( [email protected] ). As with many things in HK there is some amount of flexibility or their might be some edge case issues which might allow IMMD to give you a better answer.
    With the amount of HKPR children born to Mainland residents via birth tourism, I seriously doubt that IMMD would be willing to open that can of worms.