Moving to HK, visa issues. Any advice is appreciated!

Lightbulb Moving to HK, visa issues. Any advice is appreciated!

Hi everyone,

I am graduating this semester (Mid December) and have landed a graduate role in the finance industry in HK. I'm suppose to start mid-late February but the work visa requires me to have my graduate certificate ready which I won't receive till late Feb-early March next year. I am a New Zealand citizen so not sure if that will help at all.

The issue is:
    1. Assuming I submit the work visa once I receive my graduation certificate, it will still need 2-3 months apparently due to the slowed down work process which means I won't be able to be in HK till near mid 2021 (a 4-5 month delay from my original start date)
    2. As a graduate, there will be a lot of back and fourth between the visa office and my firm (maybe me too) about why they can't find an individual in HK and what skills I possess that deserves this work visa.

The firm has expressed, I could apply for a working holiday visa first so that I can get there first and work with them and sort out my work visa while I am in HK.

My worry right now is if I apply for a working holiday visa and then apply/convert to a work visa, will this look bad for me in the eyes of the visa officer determining my application or will it not matter much?

Any advice will be great! I'm really worried I won't be able to secure my visa and forgo this role

Nah it should not be an issue. Just explain it to them if they ask otherwise I do not think they care much about this type of things.

So they don't really care if you convert from a working holiday visa to a work visa? I thought that it might look bad because you used the working holiday visa to go there knowing you would be with the firm full time in the end anyway.

I wouldn't go the working holiday visa route; either get a letter from your school saying that you have qualified to graduate with whatever degree (which will be awarded on such&such a date), or submit your course result transcripts (specially if they state that you have qualified for the award of the degree).

They won't accept a letter. So If working visa won't work then I'll have to wait it out for the certificate and work visa

Working holiday visa would work, I know people who’ve switched from one to the other with no issues. But I think there might be a time limit on how long you can work for one employer on a working holiday visa.