Like Tree28Likes

CX Pilot Visa Renewal Issues

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

CX Pilot Visa Renewal Issues

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-kong#comments

So many local pilots without a job, get rid of the white devils and let the locals fly all CX planes is what ID probably wants

shri, ramelec and aw451 like this.

Not what iD wants, it is probably a reflection of local policy across the board.

Now that Singapore is taking such a tough line on visas (huge number of hoops to jump even for very high skill and niche roles) it was only a matter of time before HK started turning the screw. Fully expecting this to widen to other industries in the months ahead.

That is the way it should be. Most countries have stringent rules about importing workers from other countries. Employers usually have to demonstrate that there are no qualified locals able to fill the positions. With so few pilots needed, it should be the local ones that get the jobs.

mysti and RMDNC like this.

I don't think it's about local v expat (despite the angle the SCMP takes), it's those needing employment visa sponsorship versus those who don't. I heard a rumour (no idea if it's true) that Immigration has been renewing the visas of those who are only say one year off PR, but not those who have many years to go.

chuckster007 likes this.

If they have enough local talents then no need for foreign pilots in the future ( anymore ) I guess.

Not good news for pilots generally, but experienced expat pilots without PR is a tough position to be in now.

How many pilots do you know @Beanieskis, who are out of work?

I don't think there's anything sinister going on here. Immigration has always had the rule that an employer needs to prove a local cannot do the job, and with 90% of flights cancelled and thousands of local pilots out of work then if the immigration department does their job properly and enforces their own rules then is just common sense they should reject every application for a pilot.

However, given the extraordinary circumstances leading up to this situation, you would think that CX in dialogue with immigration would make some exceptions. For example, as things stand now is pretty shit for the airline industry, but there is every possibility that within 6-9 months it literally takes off again and things return dramatically back to normal and then some, with huge pent up demand creating massive pilot shortages. I think this scenario is not out of the question, so therefore CX and immi should be planning this possiblity and not kicking out all the pilots today just because today is shit.

If anything, all this article shows that is that CX and immigration department are inflexible, have no clue what they are doing, following rules by the book when this is not the time to follow the book, and just a complete lack of planning and forward thinking. I expect the SCMP to be reporting on pilot shortages in 1-2 years.

HK_Katherine likes this.

When I sponsored employment visa's for my employees 2010-2018 or so, I had to show that we cannot find a local guy to do the job when applying for said visa the first time. But, renewing a visa did not require us more than just basically filing a renewal application.

Doesn't make you feel very safe in your job, if your employer has to convenience the ID every 1-3 years that there currently is no local who can do your job.

mucaari and shri like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast