Like Tree14Likes

Chances of getting status change to visitor

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chances of getting status change to visitor

My visa expires on December 25th. When it expires, I was planning to travel to Singapore (already booked the flight) for tourism under the travel bubble, which has now been delayed until January. I intend to apply for an extension of stay as a visitor in HK until the bubble is restored. I haven't dealt with the Immigration Department many times, so I'm not sure what to expect about the process or my chances. I'm not confident they will allow me to stay longer in Hong Kong since my reason for moving on to Singapore is just tourism.

What are my chances of getting a status change to visitor? If I do have a chance, how could I maximize it? And if they let me stay, for how long probably? It would be very unfortunate if the travel bubble was reinstated only a few weeks or even days after I was forced to return home, especially since I'm from the USA and wouldn't be able to come back remotely soon due to the poor Covid situation there.

Hope someone with more experience dealing with ImmD can help me out. Thanks!

Last edited by EnthusiasmForCo; 15-12-2020 at 06:03 PM.

What kind of visa is your current visa? Also for tourism or work visa? I was renewing my work visa in July and saw many, MANY people trying to get various visa extensions in view of the bad situation back home (so these were likely relatives of someone with a work visa but could not get dependent visa). I do think they were granting emergency extensions so if you have some compelling reason to be in HK (think of something even if you don't have a compelling reason- I want to stay and study Chinese, anything) I think you could make a case.

hongkong7 likes this.

I should have specified. I'm here on a study visa. What other kind of reasons do you mean?

Edit: Also, do you think the travel bubble and my plans being delayed to January would be enough of a reason?

Last edited by EnthusiasmForCo; 15-12-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Study, look for work if you think you could get a work visa, you are living with a significant other who is a HK resident, a parent is working here, anything.

Since you have been studying, can you study some more or are you finished? Or you want to learn Chinese cooking, etc. And you can show money to finance your stay, they like to see that.

I applied for QMAS (eventually got a regular work visa, long story) but thinking along the lines of the things they ask for QMAS- your money, skills, what you plan to do in HK, and I guess proof of some kind of health insurance and such. They are happy to let you stay and spend money in HK if they are assured you won't become a public burden, etc.

Mostly I was just looking to extend my stay as a visitor one or a few weeks so that I don't barely miss the Singapore bubble start date after it (and thus my flight) was delayed. For my situation I'd probably prefer not to apply for a study visa or something like that, so I suppose I will give ImmD that reason and hope they are understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by EnthusiasmForCo:
    travel bubble, which has now been delayed until January.
    Assuming it is not delayed longer, like after Chinese New year at this rate.

Type it all up as a short proposal (something you can attach to an application), makes it easy for them, see what you can get. You can call or e-mail immigration prior, they do respond and with most government workers now on work-from-home, doesn't pay to head over to Wan Chai- they also want appointments for a lot of things so sort it all out by e-mail, save yourself some time...and possibly a wasted trip...

Walk over the IMMD .. they should be extending visas for those who cannot go back home. Do this as early as possible to ensure you have some options if they don't convert you.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Walk over the IMMD .. they should be extending visas for those who cannot go back home. Do this as early as possible to ensure you have some options if they don't convert you.
    Yes they will extend. My step son (German) who studies in Shanghai and is stuck here as not Chinese, got extensions since the border closed. 2 months at a time.
    shri and MABinPengChau like this.

Here is the online app for extension of stay, emergency coronavirus edition. You can see what they want- but they only take only if you are within 5 days of needing the extension:

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/online-s...y/visitor.html

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast