Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cminds
  • 1 Post By fullmetaljacket

Is there any way to move to HK as a freelance writer from SE Asia to move with my girlfriend?

Question Is there any way to move to HK as a freelance writer from SE Asia to move with my girlfriend?

Is there any way to move to HK if I work as a freelancer and my SO is a Hong Kong national?

We’ve been together for years now and am currently in a long distance relationship. I’m from Malaysia but I work as an online freelancer and can move around easily. My question is is it possible to move to HK under my circumstance and/or is marriage the only viable path?

Marriage and then dependent visa assuming your girlfriend is a HK resident with ROA/RTL or a working/study visa

Bartholomeuw likes this.

So basically marriage is the only option?

HK is very conservative about relationships. The category for "single woman" on forms is "spinster"! People are expediting weddings just so they can get in to visit their spouses right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyWatermelon:
    So basically marriage is the only option?
    In your situation, yes. In order to enter and live in HK long term, you need either an employment, business or investor visa. Other than these, a dependent visa through marriage is an option. You can continue with online freelancing using the dependent visa, although the authorities might want to tax some of your income.
    Bartholomeuw likes this.

I doubt Immd would approve a visa for doing freelance work. The first thing they look at is whether you have a confirmed offer for employment relevant to your academic qualifications and the role can't be fulfilled by locals.

If you go by the marriage route, your wife can sponsor you on a dependant visa but would need to prove the relationship to Immd + show that she has enough funds to sponsor you in HK. Be prepared to submit heaps of documents such as photos together, communication proof like emails, whatsapp messages, skype records etc.