Like Tree38Likes

Entering Hong Kong as Non resident with

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

There is a bunch of people in the same predicament meeting and mingling in Istanbul

MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Yes BUT the problem is where to get married, he cant come to HK to GET married, his GF will probably have to go to his place to GET married then they both can come back BUT even that can be difficult as the barrier is the check in counter person, if that person does not see a valid visa etc etc no chance will they allow him to fly to HK and risk the airline being fined.
    Was thinking about the practical side yesterday. I assume I can remotely apply for entry into HK based on residence as dependent after getting married outside of HK.

So:

1. Get married outside of HK.
    2. Apply for entry into HK based on residence as dependant at local Chinese embassy.
    3. Wife picks up passport with visa in HK, send this to me through mail.
    4. Get on a plane with documents that provide me passage into HK.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or am missing something.
    Last edited by Tekupdate; 05-02-2021 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Yes, marriage still can get in even without dependent visa...
    Can you elaborate on how I could enter as a spouse without a dependent visa? Thanks.

Marriage license shown at airport, copy of her HKID, let me find the post from the woman who did it (husband is in HK, she brought child to husband). You just get a tourist limit (probably 90 days or so) apply for dependent visa during that time (hope for quick visa resolution).

From Cathay:
    Entry restriction exemptions
    The following passengers are exempt from the entry restrictions:

• Passengers travelling from the Chinese mainland, Taiwan or Macao, and have not been to any other country/region in the past 14 days*
    • Diplomatic/official passport holders (subject to prevailing visa requirements)
    • The spouse and children of Hong Kong residents
    • Local government personnel performing official duties
    • Personnel approved by the Hong Kong SAR government to carry out anti-epidemic work
    • Passengers holding a new entry visa to work, study, establish or join in any business, or to take up residence in Hong Kong

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...trictions.html
    Last edited by MABinPengChau; 05-02-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Ah, I see. So show marriage certificate at immigration in HK. How certain is it that they, at immigration upon arrival, will acknowledge a marriage certificate obtained abroad? Is there any official information on what is accepted as proof for a spouse to produce.

As long as marriage certificate is in English/Chinese or with translation, I don't think they challenge you at all. People often run it by immigration (via e-mail), get some immigration e-mail back, show it at check-in. Yes, it's true that check-in is a crapshoot these days, many would-be dictators don't like your documents refuse to let you on. Best to get a ticket where you leave during government business hours in HK, they can call and confirm, avoiding any issues.

Or, get married overseas, return together for that romantic quarantine 3-week honeymoon in one of Hong Kong's finest quarantine hotels...

I guess foreign marriage certificate must be prepared for official recognition in HK - it means put Apostille on it in your home country. If you country didn't sign convention and cannot stamp Apostille, better to enquiry local Chinese embassy or HK authorities on how to get prepared.

I know someone who was stuck in this situation. They got married online in a country neither are residing, he got the docs and is doing his 3 weeks in quarantine in HK waiting to be reunited.

I'm not sure if they're willing to explain how they did it, but I can ask if they mind being put in touch with you... maybe PM me if you want more information.

MABinPengChau and Tekupdate like this.

Thanks. I will indeed check with immigration or embassy on requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    As long as marriage certificate is in English/Chinese or with translation, I don't think they challenge you at all. People often run it by immigration (via e-mail), get some immigration e-mail back, show it at check-in. Yes, it's true that check-in is a crapshoot these days, many would-be dictators don't like your documents refuse to let you on. Best to get a ticket where you leave during government business hours in HK, they can call and confirm, avoiding any issues.

Or, get married overseas, return together for that romantic quarantine 3-week honeymoon in one of Hong Kong's finest quarantine hotels...
    Thanks again for clearing up this possibility to me. It feels a bit like pushing my luck and should at least be verified with immigration before attempting this. Will contact them once I have a good idea on which route I would like to explore and have defined my questions.

In any case I would not mind to go back home after marriage, apply for a dependent visa and wait for the result from home.