Like Tree8Likes

Extension of stay for non permanent residents outside of HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by DAP:
    Ok everyone so I got the new sticker for my dependant spouse today. To recap:. I lodged it February 8. It was actually approved on 9 March but we never got the email from immigration. I followed up by email last week and they gave me a reference number. I collected the sticker today. He's got 6 months to enter Hong Kong from the date of collection then the dependant pass is valid until the end of his passport. Hope that helps. If I had got the email back on 9 March, it would have only taken 4 weeks. Good luck everyone..
    6 months to enter HK from the date of collection - good to know that coz it's complicated to arrange departure these days.

Hi Littlemermaid

Thank for info and is good to know IMD accept Proxy in visa extension.

bdw

It may be a bit confusing.. I started my HK residence in 2013 and return to Down Under in 2017 and also have a job there. I returned to HK in 2019 to extend my visa and explained to IMD that I have a job there. My passport expires this June and want to extend it with my spouse remains as my sponsor. Looking at the conditions for HK PR, I am not eligible and hence will not apply. I only apply in few years times after I return to HK

I want my “residence” to be uninterrupted. I may need a few more years of residence in HK but not to wait another 7 years again. Another reason for extending my visa, at any time I can stay in HK longer than 30,days without having to leave the country.

In Down Under not everyone is eligible for Pension . There is a mean test covers finance and asset.

According to DAP, IMD gives 6 months period to enter HK after approving the visa extension. The 6 months period may not be sufficient for me.

I want to be doubly checked. Can I confirmed IMD grants not more than 12 months after the visa expired for renewal? The reason is that one has to apply for permission to exit the country and my situation is not under their condition for approval. I may need more than 6 months to enter HK

The Covid situation is so fluid. Recently the Sunshine state has a UK variant and thousands were tested. 8? are infected and heard there will be a lock down. Easter holiday maker’s plan are now in balance. As happened in the past, they close the state border and this include the southern state.

Quote Originally Posted by kim h:
    I want to be doubly checked. Can I confirmed IMD grants not more than 12 months after the visa expired for renewal?
    Why not ask the immigration department directly?

Since they are the ones that can confirm this.

Your wife is in HK, get her to call them and ask in Cantonese.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Why not ask the immigration department directly?

Since they are the ones that can confirm this.

Your wife is in HK, get her to call them and ask in Cantonese.
    Yes exactly. Better have the wife call IMD hotline, which is what I did. May have to wait a good 20 mins or so, but it's worth it. They are usually quite helpful.
    emx likes this.

I thought some might have gone through this ie stuck, with limited flights and hence unable to return to HK in time.

When calling IMD, hope the right person pick up the phone. Even in the private sectors, some clerks or office assistants are not clear on new products or company new policies. They are cautious as they are seen to be "interpreting" the regulations.

Looking at the conditions for HK PR, I am not eligible and hence will not apply. I only apply in few years times after I return to HK
    I agree that I don't think you are eligibile for PR now so should not apply. But also in a few years time after you return to HK, you also will not be eligible, right?!! Even if you are successful in getting a HK dependent visa now, if you dont use it and move to HK, keep living down under for the next few years, then this time doesnt count towards your 7 years to get HK PR. So I still dont understand why you bother to apply for a HK dependent visa now if you have no plans to go to HK. Just apply when you are ready to move there.
    emx and Mrs. Jones like this.

I thought some might have gone through this ie stuck, with limited flights and hence unable to return to HK in time.

When calling IMD, hope the right person pick up the phone. Even in the private sectors, some clerks or office assistants are not clear on new products or company new policies. They are cautious as they are seen to be "interpreting" the regulations.
    The hotline staff are quite ok. If they can’t answer you, they’d ask you to leave a number and have their superiors call you back.