Like Tree8Likes

Extension of stay for non permanent residents outside of HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Extension of stay for non permanent residents outside of HK

Around two months ago the the HK immigration department announced they’d consider extension of stay applications for non permanent residents outside of the HKSAR who may be unable to return due to expired visas. I was curious if anyone had heard of the timeframes experienced to have an extension of stay granted under this policy . Personally , my application has been “in progress” for 5 weeks and when I ask over the phone how long it will take they respond “we don’t know”. Hoping someone else may have some more insight than the actual immigration department employees !

Thanks All

Hey I put my partners in the drop box in .Monday 6 February. Haven't heard a thing but they weren't back to full office service until 18 February as they had work from home arrangements. Will let you know when I hear something.

Appreciate the response . I’m not sure if you have managed to get an application reference number at least , but if you haven’t it took several phone calls and emails for me to get one as they weren’t about to send one on their own accord seemingly! Will let you know if my application progresses . Cheers.

Any news for you guys? I'm in the same situation. Sent application end of Feb, haven't heard a thing. Not even application reference number or receipt confirmation or anything. Do they actually give out application ref. number?

Please, after all of you got the visa extended, let me know the terms of extension and if they require presentation of the VISA at the counter to activate (i.e. need to fly into hk within how long)...

this will determine how i work with my wife/kids visa..

No news yet and seemingly none in sight. My application was submitted over 2 months ago now. I only received an application number after multiple phone calls and emails to the immigration department - they didn't seem forthcoming with one otherwise. Will update you if there are any developments.

shri likes this.

Emailed today

Hi I emailed today to ask for application reference number and status. I'll let you know. I originally put it in for my dependant spouse on 8 February.

I actually emailed them before sending the application and they said 2-3 weeks, but now it's been 4 weeks and nothing.
    This is crazy considered it took only 6 weeks for my husband (he's the applicant outside HK) to get his initial dependent visa back in 2019. Perhaps it's faster to submit a new visa application instead of extension of stay.

Last edited by littlemermaid; 22-03-2021 at 06:30 PM.

Speak of the devil.
    I just received an email from IMD telling me that application is approved. I can collect the entry permit within 3 months on my husband's behalf. Although the email did not say in how much time he must enter HK upon collection of the entry permit (I imagine 3 months coz that the usual validity period?)

Mrs. Jones likes this.

That's great news you can breath easy Some industries are under enormous scrutiny seemingly at the moment with regards to visa renewals. I suspect you will be given an entry window into HK when you go to pick up the visa based on what I've heard from the few others who have had this kind of application approved so far.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemermaid:
    Speak of the devil.
    I just received an email from IMD telling me that application is approved. I can collect the entry permit within 3 months on my husband's behalf. Although the email did not say in how much time he must enter HK upon collection of the entry permit (I imagine 3 months coz that the usual validity period?)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast