Like Tree2Likes

Dual citizenship work as expat?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dual citizenship work as expat?

I am US citizen and also have Hong Kong Permanent Resident Card (with Chinese SAR passport). I am currently living and working in US. I have never lived nor worked in HK. Now I am thinking applying a job in HK and if it it goes through, should I use US citizen to apply for a working visa as expat or using HK ID to work? As for tax filing, should I file as an expat? I know I need to file tax with US IRS anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Jin

As far as I know unless you have renounced your Chinese citizenship and I assume that means handed your passport back - you are primarily considered a Chinese citizen in HK and do not need a visa. Immd has your records - unless you willfully did not disclose you had a US passport.

Don't need a visa.

But check with immd

You don’t ‘need’ to continue paying tax to IRS. You have a choice

Not sure how ImmD verifies your data but our company once applied for a short term visa for someone on a Chinese two-way permit and ImmD send us a letter saying they had a HKID and can't get/don't need a visa.

Quote Originally Posted by jin2021:
    I am US citizen and also have Hong Kong Permanent Resident Card (with Chinese SAR passport)
    What's a Chinese SAR passport? Do you mean Chinese passport, or HK SAR passport?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    What's a Chinese SAR passport? Do you mean Chinese passport, or HK SAR passport?
    HK SAR passport - Given to Citizens of China (you have to get chinese citizenship before you get a SAR passport).
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    HK SAR passport - Given to Citizens of China (you have to get chinese citizenship before you get a SAR passport).
    I get what a HKSAR passport is. But I was not clear from the first post whether this is what they are holding, or a mainland Chinese passport instead.

if HK passport and HKID, then why are they asking to apply for a work visa on US passport? This would not make sense.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will have to use HK ID for the job and not applying a visa. Otherwise my HK ID will be voided or something like that which I don't want to lose it.

Now the fun part - when negotiate expat allowance or benefit, using HK ID for the job will 'weaken' the bargain power? What is expat benefits these days in HK? I am applying for a technical lead position (director level) in the IT department within a financial service firm.

How would your HKID be voided or in your terms lose it if you are a Chinese citizen with HK PR

Quote Originally Posted by jin2021:
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will have to use HK ID for the job and not applying a visa. Otherwise my HK ID will be voided or something like that which I don't want to lose it.

Now the fun part - when negotiate expat allowance or benefit, using HK ID for the job will 'weaken' the bargain power? What is expat benefits these days in HK? I am applying for a technical lead position (director level) in the IT department within a financial service firm.
    We've just hired a few directors/regional directors and the benefits are pretty standard. No housing benefit, it's all contained within the base salary. The main difference was that the AL/medical is slightly better at director level but same as non expats at the same grade. For ref I am also at director grade and in charge of internal hiring, financial services

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast