• 2 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By Eva C
  • 1 Post By Beanieskis
  • 2 Post By Fiona in HKG

Change of Employer

Closed Thread

Change of Employer

Hi All,
    Just need some advice on sponsorship change. I am currently residing in HK.
    Recently I got an offer from a company and they started with the sponsorship change.
    And after one month Immigration has asked company "Why that particular company didn't hire any local or PR for this role?"

I have already resigned from my previous company and now I am out of job. I am just worried whether they will reject my sponsorship change.
    Any advice or guidance will be very helpful.

Well its up to your current company to demonstrate that they

1. Posted adverts to hire a local and couldn't find any suitable candidates
    2. Only a foreigner can do the role as they couldn't find a local to do it

You cant do diddly squat, your new company has to convince Immigration so that your work visa gets approved. With so many unemployed in HK due to covid, heard immigration is putting the squeeze on work visas.

Good Luck .

shri and Fiona in HKG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Well its up to your current company to demonstrate that they

1. Posted adverts to hire a local and couldn't find any suitable candidates
    2. Only a foreigner can do the role as they couldn't find a local to do it

You cant do diddly squat, your new company has to convince Immigration so that your work visa gets approved. With so many unemployed in HK due to covid, heard immigration is putting the squeeze on work visas.

Good Luck .
    Not diddly squat, you can spend the time and effort to consult with and write excellent letters that you feed to your employer about your irreplaceable skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Not diddly squat, you can spend the time and effort to consult with and write excellent letters that you feed to your employer about your irreplaceable skills.
    That and some proof that the employer made some effort to try and hire a local / PR with similar qualifications / experience. Even if it is a very very unique skillset, unless it is an internal transfer which requires some proprietary skills within the organisation - some effort has to be shown.

I already have a work visa till 2023...I am surprised that they are strict even for the sponsor change.
    Sponsorship change is getting processed through the agent and it seems company is doing paper work to prove the same.
    But I am just panicked because notice period is already over in my previous company

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky84:
    I already have a work visa till 2023...I am surprised that they are strict even for the sponsor change.
    Sponsorship change is getting processed through the agent and it seems company is doing paper work to prove the same.
    But I am just panicked because notice period is already over in my previous company
    In my experience, they are stricter about sponsor change than renewal with same sponsor, even when the new sponsor is a large well established company.

They have to do as @shri said earlier.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Its a US based company and its a Data Scientist role.
    Agent and company are going to provide some documents it seems but as of now for me its completely opaque.
    Reason I am panicked because I am just worried that they should not revoke the offer letter incase they get some local or PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky84:
    Its a US based company and its a Data Scientist role.
    Agent and company are going to provide some documents it seems but as of now for me its completely opaque.
    Reason I am panicked because I am just worried that they should not revoke the offer letter incase they get some local or PR.
    Are data scientists in high demand? If so then hopefully they can show that they advertised and didn't have any suitable applicants apply.

The rules haven't changed, they're just being more strictly enforced now. I was applying for a work visa for a team member about 5 or 6 years ago and even then I was asked to provide the CVs of other applicants, and explain why they were not suitable for the role by comparison to the proposed sponsored candidate. The work visa was approved.

You only need to worry if your proposed new employer didn't in fact advertise the role or consider and reject any other candidates.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Are data scientists in high demand? If so then hopefully they can show that they advertised and didn't have any suitable applicants apply.
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ortage-skilled
    chuckster007 and Beanieskis like this.

Thanks for the scmp article I hope they approve it.
    Also, not sure if they have advertised the role locally before selecting me.