Like Tree6Likes

British Passport holder, supposed HKID and potential HKID dependent visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question British Passport holder, supposed HKID and potential HKID dependent visa

Hi all,

My husband got an offer in HK and I wanted some advice.

I apparently have a HKID which has RO (RTL). My father is HKer (HKPID), mother from mainland China.

I have been told I can work on this HKID, I just cannot vote - but I don't have a copy of it and don't know where it would be. My brother and sister have one so mine would be the same type (RO).

Husband can sponsor a dependent - am trying to do it this way, but if I enter on dependent visa, and manage to sort out my HKID can I come off dependent visa to my own HKID easily? Will I need to leave the country?

How do I find my HKID card number? Can they track it via my dad's personal HKPID number as I must've gotten my status based on that?

Does anyone know if there are any notable differences between being on dependent visa and HKID RO status? I thought the simplest would be to apply for dependent visa so I *know* I can enter HK at same time as my husband. If I have a HKID on the system but didn't mention it on dependent visa as I don't have details, will this delay my application? When I mention coming on dependent visa, some friends say it's ridiculous but I feel like it's safer.

Is HKID better than a work visa and then a dependence visa? Or does it not matter which you have as all will enable me to work.

Can British passport holders get the 90 day visa free period at the moment with covid i.e. my husband has a work visa, I am *not* on his dependent visa, but I can prove I am his spouse.

Also on another note, how hard is it to find a job if I do have a visa? I am a native English speaker with conversational Mandarin and basic Canto,

We are British passport holders but coming from Oman, Middle East, which has a different process, so I'm pretty confused.

Sorry for the long post - if anyone could help with any of these points it'd be great. I have emailed immigrations and although responsive and quite useful, they're not fully personalised to answer the question.

I think HK immigration has you on file.
    Just apply for a new one.

btw, I am surprised you have “ only” RTL.
    Where you born in UK and what visa status
    had your parents back then ?

I was born in the UK, haven't resided in HK. My grandad and dad HKPID. Grandad got British citizenship and then my Dad could get it from him.

Apply for new rather than replacement? There's no way to... Request lost HKID number is there, i.e. linked to an old passport or something?

Re: difference between RTL and dependent visa - dependent visa has to be renewed on a periodic basis, and is tied to the sponsor. RTL is unconditional stay, and permanent. Both allows you to work, study, etc.

In normal times, you would be able to enter HK as a visitor on your British passport then sort out your HKID, or have immigration staff at HK airport check your files. But under the current situation you need to check the govt and airline websites to see what the restrictions are.

Would my husband's visa be potentially delayed if there are any hiccups with the dependent visa part? Usually here, the employee gets a visa and dependents can only be applied for afterwards.

I was planning to enter on dependent and try to change to RTL - assuming I can sort my RTL HKID, would it be difficult to come off his sponsor dependent visa; would I need to leave the country to switch?

We have sent off documents for the visa application so we'll see if we manage to get it.

What an interesting past! My husband was a violin teacher at RGO's orchestra (MRPO). I always preferred cooler climes and although Oman gets hot, it's the humidity of HK I fear . I've visited a few times and distinctly remember feeling hot and sticky. In Oman you can escape by getting into your air-conditioned car - not expected to walk around at all, hahaha.

Original Post Deleted
    We have sent off documents for the visa application so we'll see if we manage to get it.

What an interesting past! My husband was a violin teacher at RGO's orchestra (MRPO). I always preferred cooler climes and although Oman gets hot, it's the humidity of HK I fear . I've visited a few times and distinctly remember feeling hot and sticky. In Oman you can escape by getting into your air-conditioned car - not expected to walk around at all, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    I think HK immigration has you on file.
    Just apply for a new one.

btw, I am surprised you have “ only” RTL.
    Where you born in UK and what visa status
    had your parents back then ?
    I was born in the UK, haven't resided in HK. My grandad and dad HKPID. Grandad got British citizenship and then my Dad could get it from him.

Apply for new rather than replacement? There's no way to... Request lost HKID number is there, i.e. linked to an old passport or something?

Quote Originally Posted by joannanp:

I think all you need to tell them is your name and date of birth, then you get a new HK ID card.
    With your Brit passport you can stay 180 days and sort it out in HK

You probably won't get the dependent visa because you have the RTL. The Immigration Department will know as soon as they pop your details into their computer.

aw451, Sage and Morrison like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast