Submitting HK Work Visa GEP

Closed Thread

Submitting HK Work Visa GEP

Hello, my employer, a multinational accounting firm with strong presence in HK, is relocating me to HK for a foreign assignment. We are starting the work visa application process this week and targeting to have me fly over in September. I am currently residing in the US.

Question:
    When submitting the GEP application, is everything submitted directly to the HK Immigration department for their review, and Thus no need to submit application through the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in the US. As I understand there are two ways to submit application: (i) is directly through the HK Immigration Dept., and (ii) is through an Chinese Embassy/Consulate overseas; but on the HK Immigration website, it did not appear to explicitly require you submitting through an embassy/consulate.

Is this understanding correct?

Yes, your employer can submit your application directly to IMMD - preferable I think as it avoids the local consular delays if any.

IMMD will liaise with your employer - which might add some minor delays if they need to get you to submit and prepare docs, but I think this should be far less than the consular route.

Thanks one additional question. to support your work experience, I have a letter from my existing employer (US firm) confirming period of current employment in US (2.5 years) and job title in the US.

From everybody's experience, does HK Immigration typically request letters of confirmation from previous employers, or you have typically only submitted support for existing employer if you have a long enough history with the employer.

When I was requested by IMMD to provide reference letter to proof my previous working experiences, I submitted the past ten years with 3 employers instead the whole career life and they accepted it. It's just simple employment verification letters.