Like Tree46Likes

English teacher visa rejected

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

They tend to want a degree from a native speaking country.

My suggestion, study a PGCE from University of Sunderland. It is recognised by the EDB. It will land all the top jobs as well.

IELTS. Level 8 is even higher than the 7/7.5 demanded by Oxbridge. Says a lot when even Oxbridge has low expectations/standards.

Last edited by angeluscomplex; 10-07-2021 at 12:30 AM.

Oxbridge is no Hull.

Corrib likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    They tend to want a degree from a native speaking country.

My suggestion, study a PGCE from University of Sunderland. It is recognised by the EDB. It will land all the top jobs as well.
    Thank you for your suggestion but I don't think i will do the PGCE at this stage since it is time and money consuming, also no guarantee to grant a visa...

Quote Originally Posted by amufe:
    I am planning to appeal against the Immigration Department's decision.
    You can try, but with employment visas not being renewed or granted in the first place at the moment, the chances are slim and it will be a drawn out process.

Have you had a working visa in HK before and are you in HK now?
    JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    You can try, but with employment visas not being renewed or granted in the first place at the moment, the chances are slim and it will be a drawn out process.

Have you had a working visa in HK before and are you in HK now?
    You are correct but there is a chance that they may reconsider it. I have neither had a working visa in Hk before nor in Hk now.

Why HK? Why not Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Korea.... May be easier than Hong Kong right now.

Do you have ielts level 9 in speaking? Even level 8 you should be sure to put forward.

Cornmeal likes this.

To be honest when it comes to teaching English in most kindergartens and teaching centres, the main qualification is that you have a white face. Immigration are slightly more picky.

The definition for IELTS level 8 is

The test taker has fully operational command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriate usage. They may misunderstand some things in unfamiliar situations. They handle complex and detailed argumentation well.
    To be honest, with that definition, I wouldn't necessarily want someone with IELTS 8 teaching my kid. My partner is IELTS level 7.5 but definitely not fluent. I guess kindergarten is fine but I have yet to meet a Belgian or French in Hong Kong (there are a lot of them) who sounds like a native English speaker.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Why would you apply only as an English teacher if you have a BA Ed? Surely better to represent yourself as a teacher teacher rather than just a one skill teacher

Non-native speakers are often better language teachers than native speakers. They have gone through the process of learning a language fluently.

Even native English speakers do not get band 9 in IELTS. Band 9 is not just about being a native speaker. I expect many native speakers would do poorly in the reading and writing tasks - especially if they have not been in education for a number of years. Band 8 is a pretty good score, and I expect the OP would be able to communicate with native speakers with little difficulty.