Like Tree46Likes

English teacher visa rejected

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Frankly, there's no shortage of people teaching English in HK and they all probably have PR, so there's just no point to grant visas to anyone at the moment.

My BBC (british born chinese) friend has been teaching English in a local primary school since 2019, so no - they don't necessarily look for the 'white foreigners' to fill the role.

fruitsalad and Hkemail888 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mysti:
    My BBC (british born chinese) friend has been teaching English in a local primary school since 2019, so no - they don't necessarily look for the 'white foreigners' to fill the role.
    Yep, it's a myth that school are exclusively looking for white foreigners to teach English.
    In every school (local/international) that I know, there were English teachers from various ethnicity. But yes, they were all native (or near native) speakers with proper qualifications and experience.
    I believe it's easier to find local candidates for teaching ESL only.
    Overseas candidates may have more chance if they have qualifications to teach English at a higher level (e.g. primary / secondary qualified teacher for international schools).
    Last edited by fruitsalad; 15-07-2021 at 10:02 AM.

I know a few native English speakers who got their visa renewal rejected, so you are not the only one.

If there are enough teachers already in Hong Kong then why do schools keep hiring people outside of the country? Like you said, unless they are hiring highly qualified teachers which is clearly not the case, why go through all that trouble to hire natives/near natives with no experience if even the ones already in Hong Kong with some experience are seeing their renewals rejected? And why take so long to reject applicants?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayalabeille:
    If there are enough teachers already in Hong Kong then why do schools keep hiring people outside of the country? Like you said, unless they are hiring highly qualified teachers which is clearly not the case, why go through all that trouble to hire natives/near natives with no experience if even the ones already in Hong Kong with some experience are seeing their renewals rejected? And why take so long to reject applicants?
    There are always teachers in Hong Kong.

But there is also a high turnover rate. Before teachers would come here for a year or two to fund their travels. The teachers who are currently put have been here for a few years at least or cannot go home (South Africa).

Before schools would hire outside the country as you can get a relatively new teacher for a basic salary. They pay for your image.

It makes sense.

Well, I tried. Interviewing for jobs in Spain now. Fingers crossed!

hullexile and TaD_LaLa like this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5