Working Holiday Visa

Closed Thread

Working Holiday Visa

Hi, one more query I'm afraid. My wife was advised to get our kids to either apply to study in HK or to apply for the WHV in order to gain acceptance into HK.

I've looked into the WHV and am aware it's a 1 time deal for 12 months with some work restrictions on it.
    If my kids were lucky enough to get onto the program at the next intake my question is simply is it possible at the end of the 12 months, or during it, for this to turn into something more permanent or is it a strict in for 12, then out type of thing.
    I know the VIF programme for teachers going to the US for example states it's for 2 years then out but it's well known that many teachers who have gained a more permanent footing in the country doing this.

Thanks
    Craig

I'm pretty sure they'll have to transfer to a working or study visa after their WHV expires. How old are they? I assume they will want to work or study anyway while they are here.

The "intention" of a WHV is the "Holiday" part, i.e. it is not intended as a gateway to fulltime residence or employment.
    Plenty of people do use it this way, but in any conversation with Immigration, this would be frowned upon.

For example, to convert from WHV to an employment visa, you normally need to do an exit/re-entry to activate the new visa, you cannot directly convert. (At least this was the case for me quite some time ago)

it's possible

Hi
    A WHV is pretty easy to get. We applied for one for my daughter last year and got it in 3 weeks. It's done on a rolling quota and with covid restrictions I'm sure there will be many spaces. You should get it very quickly.
    Getting a work visa is possible after that but the criteria is completely different. There is a lot of requirements you need to fulfil eg.the job can't be done by a local candidate, they need to show they have previous adequate work history the pay needs to be around 20,000 pm etc. My daughter is now applying for one but if she is approved she will almost definitely have to leave HK to activate. Pre-covid this was very easy....a quick trip to Macau for instance but obviously now with so many borders closed it's difficult. I'm sure by the time yours have to do this it will be easier

I did this switch recently - was on a WHV, got a job (and started working) and then applied for the work visa towards the end of the 12 months. This did indeed take a big longer than expected as they are doing deeper checks on the local candidate requirement etc. as mentioned.

The case officer initially said I would have to leave the country but my employer wrote a letter and they did an in country activation for me.

The transfer was done before the 12 months was up without a problem.

If you ring them they should be able to tell you if there’s any quota left for the current year (but not the actual figure).