Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Beanieskis
  • 1 Post By Trebor

GEP visa got rejected twice - advice needed for appeal

Closed Thread

GEP visa got rejected twice - advice needed for appeal

Hi everyone. i found this forum randomly searching for hong kong GEP visa successful appeal cases. Would like to share my background here and situation here for some advice since i got rejected twice and am thinking of appeal..

So i am from Korea and had worked in hong kong for a year previously with a working holiday visa (not entirely related to my current job) after i graduate and half year through I found a logistics job (current job) in a small korean company in HK which is not relevant to my bachelor major and my employer was willing to sponsor me and keep me as a full time employee.

Working holiday visa end: Dec 2020
    1st submission: Dec 2020
    Additional docs submission: Feb 2020
    Visa rejected: Mar 2021

So then i went back to my country bc i had to leave and the whole time I was still employed by the company (wfh) and we applied again in May knowing the unemployment rate dropped a bit but got the rejection letter this week again. They require additional docs twice asking for similar supporting docs like did the company try to make local hire or why the position cannot be filled locally. My manager had tried to make job ads post on a korean wesbite in HK but did note hire anyone (bc i was employed already).

2nd submission: May 2021
    Additional docs submission: June 2021
    Visa rejected: Jul 2021

I think I am relatively new with less than 2 years of working exp and my company had offered me 25k on the contract and we have emphasized that the position requires my proficiency in a foreign language. We are thinking of appealing but not sure if what would be beneficial to the case..

Would my manager now make a job ad on local website like jobsdb and indeed/ for me to take a korean proficiency test help (the next soonest one is in nov)?

Thank you very much in advance for any input!!

I think they need to explain why Korean language is needed for the role. I assume it's because they have Korean customers.

I think if you persist with this on the language side of things you will eventually push it through. I might be wrong but i dont think there is an abundance of koreans in HK .

JAherbert likes this.

You have to over inflate everything. Like you have experience in a very niche part of that industry. That is key to have fluent Korean as most of your clients base is Korean etc.....
    You can even BS the salary to make it a bit better since immigration do look at that.

Note that with Covid, immigration is a lot tougher on approving visas.

May I suggest to go through a visa agency for the application?

In my case, it really made a difference. I applied twice in the past: one in 2019, one this year - the two applications not related to each other. Both were "difficult" applications I think (small sponsoring company, not much experience, etc.), the 1st one got rejected, while the 2nd one was approved. The big difference was, in the 2nd application we went through an agency, which really helped in writing explanation letters properly/sort out documents/ etc.

Your employer should also go through a genuine recruitment process. Write a detailed job spec (with skills that are quite specifci to you), advertise and interview candidates. In your appeal send the CVs to immigration with explanations as to why the candidates with the right to work in HK were rejected and what skills you have that they don't, that are crucial to the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    I think they need to explain why Korean language is needed for the role. I assume it's because they have Korean customers.

I think if you persist with this on the language side of things you will eventually push it through. I might be wrong but i dont think there is an abundance of koreans in HK .
    Thank you for your comment and yes they are all korean customers and we have emphasized in the letter but still got rejected twice. Was thinking maybe I can apply for some certificate such as topik but I don’t know if it will be useful since I’m a native speaker…

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    You have to over inflate everything. Like you have experience in a very niche part of that industry. That is key to have fluent Korean as most of your clients base is Korean etc.....
    You can even BS the salary to make it a bit better since immigration do look at that.

Note that with Covid, immigration is a lot tougher on approving visas.
    i think weve done something similar like raising my pay and changing my title.. but seems not working..

Quote Originally Posted by damiano:
    May I suggest to go through a visa agency for the application?

In my case, it really made a difference. I applied twice in the past: one in 2019, one this year - the two applications not related to each other. Both were "difficult" applications I think (small sponsoring company, not much experience, etc.), the 1st one got rejected, while the 2nd one was approved. The big difference was, in the 2nd application we went through an agency, which really helped in writing explanation letters properly/sort out documents/ etc.
    wow i think our situation was similar in ways. And congratulations on the approval! Do you mind sharing which agency that your used? Thank you very much for your sharing and hope i can turn this around this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Your employer should also go through a genuine recruitment process. Write a detailed job spec (with skills that are quite specifci to you), advertise and interview candidates. In your appeal send the CVs to immigration with explanations as to why the candidates with the right to work in HK were rejected and what skills you have that they don't, that are crucial to the role.
    Yes im encouraging my boss to do so. And do u guys know is there a timeline for appeal? Ive asked hkid and they said no but suggest to do it asap. But i am wondering if i go through a proper recruitment process and maybe take a certificate and all, it will take like 2 to 3 months, will it be too late?

Quote Originally Posted by kwv2021:
    wow i think our situation was similar in ways. And congratulations on the approval! Do you mind sharing which agency that your used? Thank you very much for your sharing and hope i can turn this around this time.
    Sent you a PM (as I'm not sure I can write the name of the agency here)