Like Tree24Likes

GEP Visa - Travel to HK from Canada despite ban on non-residents

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Cathay is known for last minute/advance cancellations and rescheduling. Join the FB QT, it's a good source of info and updates.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2788738214495345

Yes you can if you are under work permit. I have a contact who got work permit and travelled to Hong Kong from Calgary last year during the travel ban to non HK resident.

Hello!

I am in the same position at the moment - I have just received my working visa and I am from the U.K. (group A non resident). Did you make it to Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by London/HK:
    Hello!

I am in the same position at the moment - I have just received my working visa and I am from the U.K. (group A non resident). Did you make it to Hong Kong?
    You can come to HK also since you rec'd your working visa. best you get an email from HK Immigration dept so that you can print it out and have ready for the moron working at the check in counter, he/she will be your biggest hurdle
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Fabulous, thank you!

Yep - can come to HK with the visa label. Suggest 2 things:

1-emailing HK immigration and printing out their response so you have it to hand if required at the airport.
    2-Fly Cathay pacific if possible. They are good with this kind of stuff.

SAFE TRAVELS!

MABinPengChau and mrwillis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwillis:
    Thanks a ton! Basically avoid Air Canada, and fly out via Cathay Pacific!
    If you want better flight prices go with Air Canada. Cheaper than Cathay Pacific.

Also remember to upload documents for a pre-check if you can, save you much hassle. AND try to leave at a time when HK immigration are at work if anyone needs to call to double-check. This saved me on my entry to TW where they needed to call to check if I could enter with only the visa sticker (and no ID card). Because if there are ANY questions, they will deny you. And please check HK Quarantine Facebook for all the test requirements for the report (there are many). Make sure your name on the report matches your passport, etc. As chuckster mentioned, you can get a brain-dead agent who denies boarding for any random (and incorrect) reason. Make sure you have direct e-mail and phone contact info from SOMEONE in immigration who can set them straight.

Quote Originally Posted by cuihua:
    Yes you can if you are under work permit. I have a contact who got work permit and travelled to Hong Kong from Calgary last year during the travel ban to non HK resident.
    Sweet! So what documentation did they have with them at the Canadian airport? I imagine they had to get their HK sponsor to physically obtain the visa/entry permit, and then have it mailed out to Canada (which they then proceeded to bring it to the airport)?

Quote Originally Posted by mrwillis:
    Sweet! So what documentation did they have with them at the Canadian airport? I imagine they had to get their HK sponsor to physically obtain the visa/entry permit, and then have it mailed out to Canada (which they then proceeded to bring it to the airport)?
    did you read any of the posts? You get the visa sticker mailed to you, you stick it in your passport, without that dont even bother trying to fly DOH!!!
    MABinPengChau likes this.