Like Tree1Likes

Entry for spouses without dependent visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Entry for spouses without dependent visa

I am getting married in May 2022 and plan to move back to Hong Kong with my spouse in June.

I have been liaising with the HK Immigration department about the logistics of organising a dependent visa for my spouse, but there are various hurdles doing it whilst I'm abroad (in the UK). Specifically: 1) I have lost my HKID card, and so cannot provide that with the dependent application; and 2) sequencing the timing of the dependent visa is tricky given the wedding date and the hard deadline of mid-June for our move to Hong Kong (June 15th would be 36 months from my previous entry into Hong Kong, so my RoA would be at risk).

Within the current context of Covid restrictions, has anybody entered into Hong Kong with their spouse but without a dependent visa? Thanks!

Which country does your spouse reside in?

We both reside in the UK. She has British and South Korean passports; I have a British passport.

There are ppl that went into hk with just showing of marriage certificate. But in your case if you can't even prove to the airline staff that you are a resident, not sure if they will accept in consideration that all flights into HK are check ridiculously rigid.

Entry is allowed so I'd suggest best bet is to get written correspondence with immigration and then share with any airline that's actually still flying into HK, and get correspondence back from them confirming that what documentation you have is sufficient for boarding. Still a bit of a lottery as to whether your check in staff are i) literate enough and ii) empowered enough to let you on though.

Cathay Pacific has a pre-flight check of documents which really helps to relieve stress - if they are still flying in June.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...fly-ready.html

at the moment, non residents from Group A countries are not permitted entry, non residents from group B and C are permitted entry, but the rules change almost everyday

reminder -- for non resident spouse if hospitalised in Hong Kong the FULL hospital fees will be charged, recently read about a non resident, who tested positive on arrival, and enjoyed 60K hospital bill

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    at the moment, non residents from Group A countries are not permitted entry, non residents from group B and C are permitted entry, but the rules change almost everyday

reminder -- for non resident spouse if hospitalised in Hong Kong the FULL hospital fees will be charged, recently read about a non resident, who tested positive on arrival, and enjoyed 60K hospital bill
    With NZ moving from B to A, are there any countries left in B that actually has a non-stop flight to HK? Because if you have to transit in an A country, then you'll be treated as if you're coming from an A country.
    JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by qhank:
    With NZ moving from B to A, are there any countries left in B that actually has a non-stop flight to HK? Because if you have to transit in an A country, then you'll be treated as if you're coming from an A country.
    Taiwan!

Taiwan has never been part of the category B list. It has its own section on the HK government website.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast