Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aw451

US passport holder in HK as tourist

Closed Thread

Question US passport holder in HK as tourist

Hi all -

I'm currently in HK as a tourist (US passport holder with 90 day stay) and I'm planning on applying for a stay extension.

1. Can someone confirm that the application for an extension can only be submitted within the last 7 day period of my 90 day stay?
    2. What is the likelihood that an extension is granted? Does it depend on the reason for the request?
    3. To the extent that the answer to part two of the question above is yes (I expect it is), what is a "good" reason? I'm currently looking for employment/visa sponsorship in HK but haven't yet found work.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by sto123:
    Hi all -

I'm currently in HK as a tourist (US passport holder with 90 day stay) and I'm planning on applying for a stay extension.

1. Can someone confirm that the application for an extension can only be submitted within the last 7 day period of my 90 day stay?
    2. What is the likelihood that an extension is granted? Does it depend on the reason for the request?
    3. To the extent that the answer to part two of the question above is yes (I expect it is), what is a "good" reason? I'm currently looking for employment/visa sponsorship in HK but haven't yet found work.

Thanks in advance!
    2. Unlikely unless you have some connection to HK
    3. Don't say you came to HK on a tourist visa during the pandemic seeking work. It's not illegal but won't be looked favourably upon
    JAherbert likes this.

Question US passport holder in HK as tourist

Hi all -

Thanks in advance!

Something doesnt add up here. Havent the borders been closed to non permanent until recently?

Or is the OP saying they have just recently arrived on a visa, i cant recall when that restriction was dropped but still to come here with no job and do 3 weeks in a quarantine hotel.....different strokes for different folks i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Something doesnt add up here. Havent the borders been closed to non permanent until recently?

Or is the OP saying they have just recently arrived on a visa, i cant recall when that restriction was dropped but still to come here with no job and do 3 weeks in a quarantine hotel.....different strokes for different folks i guess.
    Vaccinated non-residents can enter from a Group B country. Or from China.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Vaccinated non-residents can enter from a Group B country. Or from China.
    My post should have said residents, not perm residents.

But anyway, from what date were vaccinated non-residents allowed in? It was within the last 3 months right so I assume the OP has some time left on their visa yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    My post should have said residents, not perm residents.

But anyway, from what date were vaccinated non-residents allowed in? It was within the last 3 months right so I assume the OP has some time left on their visa yet.
    Non residents from many countries like Canada, Japan, Singapore, South Korea etc were allowed to come in before Omicron hit provided that they were fully vaccinated just that they would be subject to a 14 day quarantine.

It's definitely not the case now but he likely entered from a B category country like Canada and quarantined for 14 days before they tightened up the restrictions.

Yes, that's correct. I entered from a Group B country and quarantined for 14 days.

Quote Originally Posted by sto123:
    Yes, that's correct. I entered from a Group B country and quarantined for 14 days.
    If you have proof of available funds to support your stay, I don't see why they wouldn't give you an extension.

Plenty of folks here have been able to get extensions on their limit of stay as a visitor during the earlier months of covid but at some point, they may give you that discretionary leave to remain paper giving you 30 days to pack your things and go.