Like Tree45Likes

HKSAR passport/citizenship vs the world

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Red face HKSAR passport/citizenship vs the world

Hi All,

I have seen few Indians have PR but not applying HKSAR passport and don't want to loose Indian citizenship and on other hand few Indians are very interested to get HKSAR passport.

Speaking of this:

What is pros and cons of apply HKSAR passport ? Is it worth to give up Indian citizenship ?

What is pros and cons for loosing Indian passport/citizenship ?

Do we need to really give up Indian citizenship to get HKSAR passport or there is any way around ?

If yes, then how we can return to India if one day we need to go back?

Beef likes this.

Do we need to really give up Indian citizenship to get HKSAR passport or there is any way around ?

If yes, then how we can return to India if one day we need to go back?
    - No way around
    - OCI route

Rest are pretty much a personal preference issue related to travel, finances, where you intend to remain or settle in the long term.

I'm curious about this topic because I heard so different arguments around this. Some say that you cannot get a HKSAR passport but from my early days in HK I did have an Indian friend who as I recall was not born in the city but got a HKSAR passport. So what is the deal here, can I as a Swedish get a HKSAR passport too or is this some commonwealth legacy that specifically Indian can get the passport?

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    can I as a Swedish get a HKSAR passport too or is this some commonwealth legacy that specifically Indian can get the passport?
    Yep .. there are loose conditions to be met, which include connections and ties to Hong Kong and mandatory permanent residency.

In general if you show 7 years here in HK and have connections - i.e. investments, property, tax payments etc, the process is quite open to all nationalities.

Indian A = I cant wait to get rid of my useless Indian passport and get a really powerful passport like HKSAR which gives me visa free access to travel to many countries around the world.

Indian B = Why the feck do I want a racist shit HKSAR passport, I got too much to loose if I give up my Indian passport.

You have to decide which Indian are you

Yes, you have to give up the Indian citizenship.

But remember that you can go back to India and live there for a year before reclaiming the Indian citizenship - if required in the future.

shri and LetsDiscuss like this.

One thing that hasn't been noted is that you have to obtain Chinese nationality and any future kids will also get Chinese nationality by default. There are open questions as to whether the HKSAR passport will continue to exist in 25 years time.

rkenia852 likes this.

Sweden allows dual passports, can I get HKSAR passport and keep my Swedish passport then?

Sweden allows dual passports, can I get HKSAR passport and keep my Swedish passport then?
    There's the catch, if you already have Swedish passport, you will have to renounce it take up Chinese nationality and then HKSAR passport.. If it is the other way around then no issue, thousands of HKers keep multiple citizenship that way..
    shri, Jaz Paul and Andy SNK like this.

There are some loopholes (not sure what .. have never looked into it). However their FAQ states

If the application for naturalisation as a Chinese national is approved, the applicant cannot retain his/her foreign nationality. The applicant will continue to enjoy the right of abode in Hong Kong as long as he/she remains as a Chinese national.
    You should research China nationality laws ...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast