Like Tree23Likes

Anyone have “Right to Land” instead of PR?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Only change will be loss of voting rights (meaningless) and no welfare benefits or cash handouts etc.

And sometimes banks will not understand what RTL is and ask you for copies of your work visa.

jabalong likes this.

I think it also means you can be deported if you commit major crimes which probably is an upside.
    Still, currently considering coming back in the next three months precisely to keep RoA. Bloody emotional attachment and what not.

You also have to pay 15% BSD when purchasing a property

The most common problem I've come across is airlines, employers etc thinking the RTL-holder needs a Hong Kong visa.

That's because:

(1) the status is quite rare;

(2) the HKID card does *not* make it at all obvious that the holder needs no visa;

(3) The Hong Kong immigration department website actually gives wrong information about this: https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services...mit.html#part1

That can be a problem — your right to enter Hong Kong is useless if the airline denies you boarding; your right to work is useless if the employer won't hire you; etc.

Anahan, Morrison, kma88 and 1 others like this.

APEC Business Travel Card no longer possible with RTL, need to pay BSD on property purchase.

Just to chime in on this. Has anyone been through the 'been away longer than 36 months', returned and do what? Still try and use the Perm ID to enter at the airport or use the passport? Im going to guess the Perm ID would get a non opening gate and big red beeping sign. Then how about going to change/downgrade the ID card. It all sounds a little bit messy. In the same boat, debating whether to come back just to keep the PR or let it slide and downgrade. Hassle I don't want.

jabalong likes this.

Stephen Barnes, a HK immigration lawyer, has an answer to this question on his Q&A blog. According to him, here's how the process plays out:

When you next return to HK after missing the 36 month window you simply apply to have your ID card changed to denote Right to Land (apply for ROP145 and then ImmD will refuse it and this avails the RTL ID card thereafter). You must be in country.
    (To see his original post, scroll down to comment #4 on this page: https://hongkongvisageeza.com/so-jus...g-kong-anyway/

The form he's talking about, ROP145, is the 'Application for Verification of Eligibility for Permanent Identity Card': https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/forms/forms/rop145.html

Quote Originally Posted by waiming:
    The most common problem I've come across is airlines, employers etc thinking the RTL-holder needs a Hong Kong visa.
    Waiming, in your experience, what is the best way to prove to employers, banks, airlines, etc., that you don't need a visa?

Quote Originally Posted by Anahan:
    Waiming, in your experience, what is the best way to prove to employers, banks, airlines, etc., that you don't need a visa?
    The best method I'm aware of is to present HK government website links that show the HKID 'R' symbol means Right to Land, and that Right to Land means you're not subject to immigration control.

Ideally print them out, and write a covering letter explaining this to maximise the likelihood they take you seriously.

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/hkid/smartid.html

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/roa/term.html
    Anahan, shri and BritishRose like this.

Quote Originally Posted by waiming:
    The best method I'm aware of...
    Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm interested in this topic because I have friends and family who are now all in the same boat: downgraded to Right to Land because they couldn't return to HK during covid.

So it seems like the biggest headache with Right to Land is that you don't have something in your passport that you can easily show to banks, airlines, employers, etc., that proves your status. If you had this, then it seems like there'd be almost no difference between living in HK with Right to Land or PR (in a practical sense).

The link to the Immigration Department website that you shared earlier says that you don't need a visa to go to HK if your passport contains an endorsement that states:

"The holder of this travel document has the right to land in Hong Kong. (Section 2AAA, Immigration Ordinance, Cap. 115, Laws of Hong Kong)"
    As you mentioned, this doesn't really make sense. The official guidelines from the Immigration Department should make reference to the 'R' code on your ID card, not to some non-existent endorsement in your passport.

I Googled around and found a picture of what the endorsement actually looks like:

Attachment 87240

I'm now wondering if it's possible to ask the Immigration Department to add this endorsement to your passport, because it seems like doing so would solve any potential issues with banks/airlines/employers.

Has anyone here actually done this? I'm thinking of writing to the Immigration Department to ask if it's possible.
    waiming likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast