Like Tree36Likes

HK ID card appointments not available

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    According to this website...
    https://www.humanresourcesonline.net...m-4-march-2023

Is there any official website confirming this? The gov one is absolute trash regarding details about validity/expiry of the more recent smart identity card (the one with a B/W picture and chip). I can confirm that I entered HK using the older smart card yesterday, out of those deadlines, and I went through like normal.
    The old card hasn't yet been cancelled, it says so on the FAQs I shared earlier but there's a possibility of you being fined $5000 for missing out your turn to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    The old card hasn't yet been cancelled, it says so on the FAQs I shared earlier but there's a possibility of you being fined $5000 for missing out your turn to replace it.
    Any details/quotes on this please?? And no, I didn't find in the FAQ about anything regarding the current smart card cancellation (or not) status. Which I found specially frustrating.

Are the ones with an IC chip considered old? The FAQ seems to mention HKIDs from 2003 expiring in 2008. Mine was done...in 2017 I think?
    Both old and new cards have IC chip. The old card has it on the front, the new card on the back. So the new card must insert into immigration machine upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Both old and new cards have IC chip. The old card has it on the front, the new card on the back. So the new card must insert into immigration machine upside down.
    So...If the "old" smart card is not really expiring yet...what's the rush?

So...If the "old" smart card is not really expiring yet...what's the rush?
    No rush for me. I'm outside of Hong Kong and when I visit its for less than 30 days at a time. So I dont bother and this is within the documented guidelines.

But if you live in HK and havent done it yet, mate your fucked. Watch your back!

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    No rush for me. I'm outside of Hong Kong and when I visit its for less than 30 days at a time. So I dont bother and this is within the documented guidelines.

But if you live in HK and havent done it yet, mate your fucked. Watch your back!
    Fucked...how? The gov said they don't have plans to expire the old HKID?

At present, the old form of smart ID cards are still valid. The department will continue to closely monitor the progress of the replacement of new smart ID cards and has no plan to declare any ID card invalid at this stage.

Fucked...how? The gov said they don't have plans to expire the old HKID?
    You had the get the new one based on the year you were born. If you haven't done that, now the whole system is screwed!

Name:  HKID.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  86.0 KB

You can just claim that you were not in Hong Kong. They literally never care. I know so many people who missed their dates.

Quote Originally Posted by shree711:
    You can just claim that you were not in Hong Kong. They literally never care. I know so many people who missed their dates.
    I still don't get it...my HKID is valid. It says nowhere it's not valid. I missed the deadline to renew it and yet I have a valid HKID that clearly works in immigration checkpoints without raising any warning from the officers...Why is everyone rushing?

I still don't get it...my HKID is valid. It says nowhere it's not valid. I missed the deadline to renew it and yet I have a valid HKID that clearly works in immigration checkpoints without raising any warning from the officers...Why is everyone rushing?
    I realized my HKID needed replacement only after someone asked abt it last month here - thought mine already had a IC chip so didn't have to replace :x I think everyone rushing now because the everyone right now are already the latedoers lol so the rushing is a constant and perpetual state of mind :p

The current HKID is still valid point - last official source here https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...3022100608.htm

Also in the FAQ Qn 4 of the smartid immigration page.

At present, the old form of smart identity cards are still valid. The ImmD will continue to closely monitor the progress of the replacement of new smart identity cards and has no plan to make arrangement for declaring any identity card invalid at this stage
    I had to fill in and sign a form stating reason for not doing it per schedule - I wrote I misread the requirements and gave it to the officer. That was it..
    timonoj likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast