Do HK-born Expats eligible for "Home Return Permit"?

Closed Thread

Do HK-born Expats eligible for "Home Return Permit"?

Hi

I want to travel to China for leisure. I was born in HK, so I have 3 stars on my HK id card. But I am also a naturalized-US citizen.

Before Covid, one of my relative (speak and write perfect Chinese) went to CTS to help me apply "Home Return Permit" (HRP).
    She told me CTS said: "no, he is not eligible for HRP". So, I had to get a visa, which was very expensive.

Now I want to do alot of travel (since I am retired). I try to do my own research this time. CTS website shows eligibility requirement, but it doesn't talk about HK'er with foreign citizenships. I found some info in Wikipedia, under the article: "Mainland_Travel_Permit_for_Hong_Kong_and_Macao_Re sidents".

In section "Issues faced by other foreign passport holders"...
    many residents of Hong Kong have obtained citizenship in countries such as...the United States. Officially speaking, if they have not made a "declaration of change of nationality" at the Immigration Dept of HK, they are regarded by the Chinese authorities as Chinese nationals. In this case, they can use their Home Return Permits to enter Mainland China instead of their foreign passports...
    So, according to Wikipedia, I am eligible for the HRP.

I asked my another relative who has HRP, and he told me he got his HRP before he became a US citizen. He thinks that if you didn't get your HRP before becoming naturalized-US citizen, then you cannot apply for HRP.

What do you think?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Degen; 09-04-2023 at 01:17 PM.

are you a chinese citizen?

These days you must present a HK passport
    when you apply for a home return permit.

You could apply for one and then see what proof they need to issue you a passport.

The guide below is also quite useful

https://www.sm128c.com/hk/

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    are you a chinese citizen?
    I think so, since I am ethniccally Chinese. And I was born in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Degen:
    I think so, since I am ethniccally Chinese. And I was born in HK.
    then apply for a chinese passport and the home return permit at the same time.

If you are a Chinese citizen then China does not recognize your other nationality and regards your US passport merely as a “ travel document “ .
    When you apply for home return permit they
    will want to see it though.

And the fact that you have used your US passport and been to China on it also does not matter.

Last edited by Morrison; 09-04-2023 at 02:02 PM.

What others have said is correct.

3 stars + AZ (ie RoA born in HK) on your HKID = you have Chinese nationality
    For the first Home Return Permit, you need to show HKSAR passport, so you need to get this first.

Hi, yes Morrison is correct. I got my Home Return Permit back in Sep. '21, as I initially planned to go to China possibly to teach. The fact that you were born in HK and are HK permanent resident makes you eligible. There's also the 'ethnic' aspect of possessing Chinese nationality 'by birth.' I am interested whether a HK Permanent resident, born in HK, yet not ethnic Chinese could still be eligible if they possess ‘Chinese nationality’ by ‘naturalization.’

When I applied, Chinese was still engulfed in Covid, and it may have caused a stricter line of questioning by the officer. This blog, https://beawander.com/home-return-permit/, gives a good decription of the process, yet I feel she makes it simpler than it really is, regarding those born in HK, which she feels are a ‘shoo-in’ to get the Permit. From my experience, it was no sure thing, I was fairly nervous during the process. Asked me lots of probing question about my family background, why I got a new HKID previously, etc. Seems they may still have that ‘blood and soil’ mentality, though some European countries have a similar policy regarding offering passport/citizenship to those of blood lineage/descent.
    Ironically, when got my US Green Card the year, I felt at ease with the US consular officer.

By the ways, Degan, do you plan to file your US Tax return through an in-person accountant here HK this year? I did that last year with USAsiaTax, but I feel it would be more economical to use an online service like Greenback Expat Tax. I don’t anticipate, from last year’s experience, that I will owe any taxes due to the FEIE- Foreign Income Exclusion(2555), so I plan to file with Greenback Expat Tax around June(expats get an automatic 2-month extension for the 1040, 2555, 1116 if needed). FBAR is due in October, obviously.

Just as a side note- my consultation with the US Tax Accountant here in HK cost $10,000HKD; using an online US Expat tax return service costs around half that.

Quote Originally Posted by Degen:
    And I was born in HK.
    [used an emoji and now my entire message is blank... can't be bothered to retype so just ignore!]