Like Tree8Likes

HKID card - do returning expats use same HKID number?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HKID card - do returning expats use same HKID number?

Hi everyone! I have a question about HKID number. I left HK in 2018 after working there for a few years and am now returning for another role (work visa currently in process). I read in one of the threads that the HKID card number is yours for life, and a new one need not be issued - is that correct? I still have my HKID card. Tried looking through the govt website but couldn't find any info specifically on this.

Once I get to HK, I need to apply for the new SMART HKID card and would use my current HKID number for the appointment booking? Is that correct?

Thank you for any advice/info.

Yes, all is correct.

Yes, your HKID number stays with you for life. And, yes, you will need to apply for a smart ID when you arrive because your current one will be invalidated soon.

BritishRose likes this.

Thank you for your quick reply!

aw451 likes this.

No probs. Do stick around

shri likes this.

I am in the same boat but don't seem to be able to make a booking until August, is this the case for just renewing or applying for new smart ID. Is it possible to do at the airport when you land?

Ask the Immigration staff !

jdf21st likes this.

Soooooo, what’s the scoop on replacing old ID cards….?
    Similar situation to OP (left but later; 4 of us, 2 born in +852), although no arrival date fixed yet.
    Perhaps with not so many cases post-Covid it’s bit uncharted waters….?

I've just been to Immigration to amend my name today on my HKID and when I was filling out the forms, the Officer confirmed that your ID number will stay for life.

jdf21st likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fazer555:
    I am in the same boat but don't seem to be able to make a booking until August, is this the case for just renewing or applying for new smart ID. Is it possible to do at the airport when you land?
    No you must book an appointment online and the replacement exercise must be done at one of the Registered Offices.
    However if you will be in HK for a few days and unable to book an appointment, you are not violating any laws - that's according to the government.
    jdf21st likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast