Like Tree44Likes

No need for separate HKID appointment after Verification of Eligibility for PR

Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    48,121

    The HK passport will allow you to travel to and stay for longer in most countries except US and a few others. Worth it ...

    Limoncello and Crankshaft like this.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Limoncello:
    I am a Chinese citizen (currently holding a mainland passport) and my PRID has ***, so I don’t need to renounce.

    Once I applied for the PRID, they gave me a “ROP140”, i.e. temporary paper ID on the spot (the one with photo printed on, that you use to collect the actual card in ~10 working days). With this, I can apply for passport online—I just need to collect the PRID card first before collecting the passport itself. My understanding is that the two are produced in parallel.

    Of course, if you need to renounce your current citizenship, things are probably more complicated.
    Ahh ok, if you are mainland Chinese then a whole different set of rules applies which I am not going to attempt to understand . For those of us from other countries, hitting the 7 year mark in HK, getting PR, then we get the new HKID with the word "permanent" printed on it but we dont get a HK passport.
    BritishRose and rkenia852 like this.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by Limoncello:
    I’m amazed by the efficiency of the whole process. It takes <1 month from the day I reached the 7-year mark (last week) for me to receive the PR card and HK passport (applied for both earlier this week; have yet to receive them). In some southern European countries it could easily take me two years of bureaucratic hell. Also, rules are super clear, so minimal paperwork and no need to pay some rent seeking consultant.
    Glad to hear things have improved but it was not so efficient last year. Waited a few months after submitting application. Then had to book HKID replacement separately in the furthest office from Wan Chai (Tuen Mun). Wasn't able to pick up the ID in a different office so had to make a return trip back out there.
    newhkpr and Limoncello like this.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,706

    Thanks for this info, I should be getting mine any day now..

    rkenia852 likes this.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The HK passport will allow you to travel to and stay for longer in most countries except US and a few others. Worth it ...
    Yes definitely an upgrade for me (without all the soul searching on whether to renounce or not ).

    Getting visas is the worst:
    - the Schengen countries (especially France) welcome anyone with open arms—Schengen visa is pretty cheap and you get 5 years multiple entries;
    - US is a pain in the neck (especially in the good old days when you couldn’t take your cellphone into the consulate and they had no lockers), but at least it’s cheap and a stamp is good for 10 years;
    - the UK just tries to make money out of it…we are talking thousands of HKD for a 5-year visa.

    Add to these all the other less frequently traveled countries where I might need a visa… My assistant had to do some serious 3D chess in her head during the pre-Covid days when I travelled often and often with short notice, and my passport would be tied up for a certain number of days at some random consulate. I’m glad US and South Asian countries will be the only visas from now on!
    Last edited by Limoncello; 19-10-2023 at 03:47 PM.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Ahh ok, if you are mainland Chinese then a whole different set of rules applies which I am not going to attempt to understand . For those of us from other countries, hitting the 7 year mark in HK, getting PR, then we get the new HKID with the word "permanent" printed on it but we dont get a HK passport.
    I’m an odd case I guess since my GEP work visas were glued on my mainland Chinese passport—I was working in the US before moving to HK, so didn’t have the mainlander 港澳通行证. So this forum has been very helpful to me!
    rkenia852 and dossier like this.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,765

    deleted

    Last edited by Morrison; 19-10-2023 at 04:16 PM.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by Limoncello:
    I am a Chinese citizen (currently holding a mainland passport) and my PRID has ***, so I don’t need to renounce.

    Once I applied for the PRID, they gave me a “ROP140”, i.e. temporary paper ID on the spot (the one with photo printed on, that you use to collect the actual card in ~10 working days). With this, I can apply for passport online—I just need to collect the PRID card first before collecting the passport itself. My understanding is that the two are produced in parallel.

    Of course, if you need to renounce your current citizenship, things are probably more complicated.
    Ah okay. Lucky. I hear it takes about 18(?) months if you have to do it the other way. I am strongly considering this when I get PR next year. Had enough of this visa BS.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Ah okay. Lucky. I hear it takes about 18(?) months if you have to do it the other way. I am strongly considering this when I get PR next year. Had enough of this visa BS.
    In my observation most regular cases get approved exactly around 1yr mark (even during covid), i have this theory that they open the file on 11th month and if all docs and past records are in order, approve in one month.. Just make double sure all docs are in order at the time of submission and good to go.. If any doubt about particular document, just ask the officer before submission and make it complete, they are quite helpful..
    Crankshaft likes this.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Posts
    269

    I confirm. Got my PR last week. The process was oddly slow. Took 2.5 months to get it approved (straightforward case after 7 years), but oh well. Booked an HKID appointment months ago in anticipation, but no matter how often I tried (and it was in the hundreds over several weeks!), the very first appointment was somewhere in NT in December. New appointments now aren't before February.

    To my surprise I got the little slip as well telling me that I can get an HKID applied for on the same day on 8/F. I wish there would have been communication about that. Thankfully I had time to queue for another hour+ down there (it was a zoo!). Many people might not have. This special invite slip stated "valid today only" so if I didn't make it, I'd have to wait half a year for a new appointment. Very odd.


Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast