Like Tree42Likes

No need for separate HKID appointment after Verification of Eligibility for PR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I've applied mine online on 1st Sept, and it's still showing as 'in progress'. I don't know why its taking so long. I am going on a vacation next weekend, is it okay to travel for a week outside of HK when my application is 'in progress'? Its been almost 2 months, I thought everything would be completed in around 6 weeks, I had no idea it would take this long...

Quote Originally Posted by chrislee1908:
    I've applied mine online on 1st Sept, and it's still showing as 'in progress'. I don't know why its taking so long. I am going on a vacation next weekend, is it okay to travel for a week outside of HK when my application is 'in progress'? Its been almost 2 months, I thought everything would be completed in around 6 weeks, I had no idea it would take this long...
    I was nervous too. Mine took 11 weeks, not six like they claim. I guess they're overworked with all the global talents and other visa applications we are getting from up north. A short trip for you should be fine. The appointment they eventually will send you will be two weeks out and you can change that online to any other that fits you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by newhkpr:
    I was nervous too. Mine took 11 weeks, not six like they claim. I guess they're overworked with all the global talents and other visa applications we are getting from up north. A short trip for you should be fine. The appointment they eventually will send you will be two weeks out and you can change that online to any other that fits you anyway.
    Along with other factors, particularly foreigners who have to return to maintain their PR.
    Thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic - most had to be reassessed for ROA by making a written declaration as to why they haven't returned to HK within 36 months.
    My friend was in that exact position and had to wait at least 2 months for his HKID to be approved.
    newhkpr and dossier like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Limoncello:
    I’m an odd case I guess since my GEP work visas were glued on my mainland Chinese passport—I was working in the US before moving to HK, so didn’t have the mainlander 港澳通行证. So this forum has been very helpful to me!
    I'm curious, once you apply for an HKSAR Passport, do you have to surrender / invalidate your Mainland PRC passport and China ID card?

Quote Originally Posted by BritishRose:
    Along with other factors, particularly foreigners who have to return to maintain their PR.
    Thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic - most had to be reassessed for ROA by making a written declaration as to why they haven't returned to HK within 36 months.
    My friend was in that exact position and had to wait at least 2 months for his HKID to be approved.
    Interesting about the non-Chinese ROA PR 36 month absence issue: were the written declarations as to why they haven't returned to HK within 36 months (presumably COVID-19 related travel issues) accepted?

Yes. Actually you are supposed to do that when getting HK permanent residence.

dossier and Limoncello like this.

Can give an update how my procedure was: Sent in the documents 3 weeks ahead of my 7 year date, included e-tax documents from all years I had, scans of all working VISAs plus landing paper and my two employment contracts. Got a note 3 weeks after my 7 year date from setting a physical foot in HK that I could go to Wan Chai for further processing.

Went to Wan Chai, only westerner sitting in a hall full of Chinese/Asians just when I was called, one other white guy came in, we gave each other a nod and then I went for processing. They didn't want any further documents at all One small mistake on the form I put the date of my application and they wanted the date of 7 years (it was worded a bit strangely). Did the classical HK correction of signing a page and then all good. I asked if they could give me a time straight away for issuing the new PR card. She looked at me as I asked something very stupid and just said, if you want it quick go to Kwun Tong today. I didn't but I did book a time for the coming Saturday (center had just opened 2 days prior).

Went to Kwun Tong temporary center next Saturday. Got a total noob who had no idea how to even input my information. Got a bit frustrated but realized I had an opportunity for a mini-coup of being allowed to show teeth (smiling) on the photo after a very slow registration process. Showed my full set of teeth without complaint (this did not work 3 years ago when we got the new type of ID cards). Another office took my old HK id and gave a paper which was my temp ID card until the new one was printed. Asked if I could pick up the new card in Wan Chai, again got that look. No can do, have to pick up in Kwun Tong. I picked it up 2 weeks later on a Saturday, shook the old mans hand who gave me the card and was very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    I asked if they could give me a time straight away for issuing the new PR card. She looked at me as I asked something very stupid and just said, if you want it quick go to Kwun Tong today. I didn't but I did book a time for the coming Saturday (center had just opened 2 days prior).
    Sorry this happened…It seems the Covid inconsistency lingers.

When I had my “interview” in October, the officer was a 40-50 year old man and seemed to know his stuff. Without me even asking, he just handed me the paper for same-day walk in. I did ask whether I could use it the next morning so that I could show up with better hair; he said nope, use it same-day or lose it .

Well, at least now Kwun Tong always has availabilities even for same-day walk-ins.
    newhkpr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Interesting about the non-Chinese ROA PR 36 month absence issue: were the written declarations as to why they haven't returned to HK within 36 months (presumably COVID-19 related travel issues) accepted?
    Yes, but it's not a fair system because other foreigners didn't need to, simply because they have Chinese nationality.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3